Which one is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Converting to synthetic and Walmart is out of 5W30 EP in my area (not interested in the annual protection due to costs) - owners manual says I can use 10W30 or 10W40 (wally has both of these in stock EP) as long as the ambient temperature is above 0. I live in Dallas and the winters are very mild.

Is one of these a better idea than the other given where I live?

2004 Nissan Frontier
KA24DE ending
Diet of 5W30 dino supertech since new

Why not just use a different 5w30? NAPA has M1 5w30 on sale right now for $5.79/qt and there is a mail-in rebate. I see no strong reason to use a 10w30 or 10w40.

Given your location I would use thee 10w30, its not to be much if any different from the 5w30 in your climate. I really like 0w and 5w40 oils but I cant get past the bad rap 10w40 had for decades, I wont use it but that's me.

In the world of synthetic oils, Redline and Motul 300V are about as good as it gets. The other stuff, well it's kinda just that, the other stuff ...

Last edited:
Try some Magnatec 10w30. It comes in both synthetic and semi-synthetic. I've used the semi-synthetic in my truck and it makes it run and drive like new again.

Try some Magnetec 5w30. My Tacoma V6 4.0L LOVES this stuff. Sounds smoother than PP or Valvaline Synpower. my new go to.

Originally Posted By: kpatter
Converting to synthetic and Walmart is out of 5W30 EP in my area (not interested in the annual protection due to costs) - owners manual says I can use 10W30 or 10W40 (wally has both of these in stock EP) as long as the ambient temperature is above 0. I live in Dallas and the winters are very mild.

Is one of these a better idea than the other given where I live?

2004 Nissan Frontier
KA24DE ending

10w30 is fine.

I assume you have taken into account possibility of leakage?
I have heard over and over and over, if high mileage vehicle (more than 75K) is converted to synthetic, it will clean up the engine well, opening up the leaks otherwise covered by the sludge or whatever debris there is. That is the sole reason I am not changing my 2006 Sentra with 103K on the odometer to synthetic and using synthetic blend instead.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
There's a lot of temperature charts out there that say 5W-30 is no good above 60*F.

Very old data. You can run 5w-30 in 100 degree ambient no problem

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
There's a lot of temperature charts out there that say 5W-30 is no good above 60*F.

Very old data. You can run 5w-30 in 100 degree ambient no problem

I ran a Mitsubishi Montero Sport on 5w-30 through the Mojave desert at 116F. No problems. Old data for sure.

Originally Posted By: kpatter
owners manual says I can use 10W30 or 10W40 .... I live in Dallas and the winters are very mild.

2004 Nissan Frontier
KA24DE ending

Now about Castrol Magnatec 10W30 semi-synthetic ?
That is probably what I would use, it's at the thick end for a 30 grade, and has a great reputation in the UOA section here.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4491786/

Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn
I assume you have taken into account possibility of leakage?
I have heard over and over and over, if high mileage vehicle (more than 75K) is converted to synthetic, it will clean up the engine well, opening up the leaks otherwise covered by the sludge or whatever debris there is. That is the sole reason I am not changing my 2006 Sentra with 103K on the odometer to synthetic and using synthetic blend instead.

This is an old chestnut that comes up from time to time.
Unless we're speaking of very costly ester basestocks, no synthetic cleans any better than its Grp II cousin. Oils are intended and formulated to clean up after themselves and not so much to clean out years of varnish, sludge and neglect.
I've personally put syns in older engines that probably hadn't seen them before with no issues.
If your Sentra has seen regular oil changes since new using any sort of oil, it's probably pretty clean internally anyway, so no worries with using a syn in it if you wish to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back