Reliability of "modern appliances"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, last Sunday my 31 year old Maytag fridge quit or gave up the ghost. Installed a new Crosley fridge. I got $41 for the old fridge as I wasn't lugging a 305lb fridge to the curb for $25 from electric company. Plus they said it had to "work"

My fathers 1972 Hotpoint fridge is still going strong as is his circa 1968 maytag drier an washer. Are modern appliances not
Built to last?

Originally Posted By: car51
So, last Sunday my 31 year old Maytag fridge quit or gave up the ghost. Installed a new Crosley fridge. I got $41 for the old fridge as I wasn't lugging a 305lb fridge to the curb for $25 from electric company. Plus they said it had to "work"

My fathers 1972 Hotpoint fridge is still going strong as is his circa 1968 maytag drier an washer. Are modern appliances not
Built to last?

You know the answer to your question. I wouldn't be using a Fridge from 1972 unless electric was cheap.

Well, I rent so electricity isn't my concern.

The Hotpoint fridge of dads is in his garage now. He has a mid 90's Frigidaire
In house

Originally Posted By: car51
Well, I rent so electricity isn't my concern.

The Hotpoint fridge of dads is in his garage now. He has a mid 90's Frigidaire
In house

Both of those are inefficient by today's standards. I was never a fan of keeping the old refrigerator around to suck up power, refrigerators are one appliance that greatly improve every few years and I'm fine replacing.

let me use an SAT analogy to "depict" or as the kids say, peep this scenario

Fridges are to appliances *as* Tools are to People

Based on that, you should be delighted you got any service at all meaning expect unreliable at first glance and no service.

Last edited:
I was in the appliance business for 15 years in a prior life. I would get this question often.

Modern appliances don't last as long as their ancestors and don't cost as much. Let me explain...If you bought a Maytag fridge in 1985 that cost $500, that same fridge today would cost $1131 today. My guess is that you had a basic, 18 cu. ft. top-freezer with wire shelves and it was probably self-defrosting. Today, that same fridge style can be purchased from Best Buy on sale for $430. It uses half the energy(or less); $48/year.

Nobody builds appliances like they used to because they can't do it profitably. Sub Zero says they're built to last but they don't. Truth is there's only a handful of component manufacturers but many brands. They're buying the same commodity as every other brand.

Times changed in the 90's when the economy was going strong, interest rates were low and people were replacing major appliances when they wanted to, not when they needed to. Keeping up with the Jones'.

Also, remember more features an appliance has, more to go wrong, the boards go out in a lot of the appliances, pretty much cheaper to buy a new one than fix it. I wouldn't have some fancy touch screen appliances without surge protection on it, where as older more simpler it wasn't as big a deal.

Late 80s Whirlpool refrigerator still going strong.Replaced a 1970s Philco that lasted only a few years and then a Norge.The Norge lost its thermostat but the repair place claimed it would cost as much to fix it as to replace the whole unit.Got $25.00 on trade,they replaced the thermostat and sold the unit for $150.......scam artists...

I worked at Lowe's for 10 years as a kitchen designer and also had to sell appliances, as they refuse to staff the departments. I honestly told people don't get "attached" to your new appliance because realistically you can expect 5 to 7 years out of new appliances, and avoid ones with touch screens as they tend to have expensive problems even sooner. Appliance manufactures realized that if your appliance lasts 30 years they aren't going to make any repeat sales. And as someone else here said it would cost a bloody fortune to build one of today's modern appliances that last as long as the old ones did.

Whimsey

My 17 yr old Frigidaire refrigerator is still going strong. It hasn't had an easy life either, spending the last 10 yrs in my garage with wild temperature swings.

My 20 yr old Maytag washer & dryer also work great.

I have six Kenmore Elite stainless appliances that are 12 years old - no repairs ... they have all been used allot.

Old appliances use a lot of energy, and I don't see a problem with new stuff. Sure it isn't made quite as well as the old stuff but with energy savings and fancy features I think it's worth it.

GE sold their appliances division to ChiCom Haier, so don't expect anything good from them. New appliances are also almost exclusively non-US made.

Definitely not made like they used to ... what we have below is a 1978 GE model that has lived in a garage since 1997.

In all of those years, one repair and it was caused by Mickey trying to stay warm.

Originally Posted By: LotI
I was in the appliance business for 15 years in a prior life. I would get this question often.

Modern appliances don't last as long as their ancestors and don't cost as much. Let me explain...If you bought a Maytag fridge in 1985 that cost $500, that same fridge today would cost $1131 today. My guess is that you had a basic, 18 cu. ft. top-freezer with wire shelves and it was probably self-defrosting. Today, that same fridge style can be purchased from Best Buy on sale for $430. It uses half the energy(or less); $48/year.

Nobody builds appliances like they used to because they can't do it profitably. Sub Zero says they're built to last but they don't. Truth is there's only a handful of component manufacturers but many brands. They're buying the same commodity as every other brand.

Times changed in the 90's when the economy was going strong, interest rates were low and people were replacing major appliances when they wanted to, not when they needed to. Keeping up with the Jones'.

I agree.

I think if you get 10 years out of your appliances its about normal for today. Reality being most stuff has fancier features but if you do pay for electricity that can have an impact on cost savings. A 30 year old fridge probably uses alot more energy and will save you quite a bit over a 10 yr lifespan. Its a race to the bottom these days...

My fridge dispenses filtered water and ice so that increases the value to me.

My control board failed on my stove a couple months ago, its 9 years old...stovetop works, oven doesnt.

Last edited:
I agree with the above. New appliances are made very cheap, but with the internet now parts can be bought to keep them going if you're willing to repair them. Between my house and my parents house I feel like I repair one appliance per year now.

I've only had an appliance fail once and it was an easy fix I did myself. New ones, old ones, they all just seem to work.

I rented a house a few years ago, where some previous tenant left an old chest freezer. I opened it up to see that the compressor stuff was on one side with a defrost pan above it (heat from compressor defrosts what you have in the pan above) but the actual usable space for the freezer was half the unit. I looked the Maytag serial number up and it was made in the 1940's! Plugged it in a few times when I had overflow freezer stuff to go in it, and it worked just fine. It did have a rotted seal in one area, but didn't phase it. Probably accounted for half my electric bill a couple months, but none of my meat went to waste!

Have seen lots of '80's fridges in people's garage as their beer coolers, and they always just work.

I agree, these new appliances are not made for longevity. But the way society is nowadays, the in-fad color will change five years from now, and a lot of folks will be replacing them on their own accord.

My only experience with brand new appliances was an LG high-efficiency side load washer/dryer set that I bought in 2007 (high tech stuff then) with George Bush's $600 tax refund. I paid $700 for both at a scratch and dent place. The units were brand new, but the dryer especially looked like some moron tossed it down a flight of stairs. Both worked great then and are still cleaning my 6-person households laundry to this day. The aforementioned appliance failure was the dryer-- the heating element went out about a year ago. About $75 and a couple hours later, I had what seemed like a brand new dryer again. Super simple to work on.

Originally Posted By: Kage860
I agree with the above. New appliances are made very cheap, but with the internet now parts can be bought to keep them going if you're willing to repair them. Between my house and my parents house I feel like I repair one appliance per year now.
Whoa - one second there - New appliances are being made very cheap, and replacement parts are often impossible to come by because appliance designs also change several times a year! Think of getting a replacement controller board for some LG or Samsung appliance made three years ago. Good luck, my man.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back