M1 AFE 0w-20 or EP 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering giving the thin stuff another try since I've replaced my PCV valve and consumption is back down to 1qt in 6000 miles or so.

I've looked at the PDS for both oils and they seem about the same.

Is there any practical difference between the two oils?

The AFE is plenty good for 10k mile intervals if you plan to exceed maybe consider the EP. I found the AFE seemed to run better but it was by no means a scientific method, just seat of my pants.

Blend 50 50
smile.gif

Just kidding.
Thought the ep had higher pao content ?

Last edited:
I agree that for 10K miles or less....AFE is the way to go....beyond 10K I'd go with EP...

The only advantage to paying the extra money for EP is if you plan on exceeding 10k. Otherwise, save a few dollars and just get the regular AFE 0w20
smile.gif

Ever think of blending m1 10w30hm with 0w20afe.
With just 0w20 your consumption likely to increase from 10w30hm.

With just about a $3 difference in price at walmart, my vote is for EP. You may not need the 15,000 mile capability but the extra margin of safety and a little more oil "strength" is worth it to me. I only use EP.

I use Mobil I 0W-20 AFE for fall oil change and AFE 0W-30 for spring oil change. Been using Mobil I since I believe 1978 after reading an article on synthetic oil in Popular Mechanics. Good products.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
With just about a $3 difference in price at walmart, my vote is for EP. You may not need the 15,000 mile capability but the extra margin of safety and a little more oil "strength" is worth it to me. I only use EP.

I agree with this. Next OCI, I'm going with 0w20 EP in my Pilot.

Last edited:
I'll run 15k as long as I don't see massive consumption.

I was using a quart in 2k but that went back to a quart in 6k after I replaced the PCV valve. It ran 5w20 for the first 100k or so with this same rate of use so fingers crossed it stays the same with 0w20

I know, I wanted to see if I get a measurable mpg difference and see how it runs with the thin stuff. It lived a long time on 5w-20 before it started consuming and I think that was spring fatigue in the PCV valve

I have used M1 0-20AFE for about the last 400K miles in my Fords, with great results. Very clean engines, no sign of engine wear, no oil consumption with 10K OCIs.

when you guys are talking about OCI in miles, do you ever consider motor hours on the oil and ambient temperature car has been exposed to?

10K at 60 mph avg and 10K at 20mph are two different stories...just saying

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I'll run 15k as long as I don't see massive consumption.

I was using a quart in 2k but that went back to a quart in 6k after I replaced the PCV valve. It ran 5w20 for the first 100k or so with this same rate of use so fingers crossed it stays the same with 0w20

15k= EP is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back