Walbro LMT Carb, Only Runs on Full Choke

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a generator that has a Walbro LMT carb on it but it only runs on full choke. I pulled the carb off 3 times so far tonight and used 2 cans of carb cleaner with no luck.. Am I missing something here? I pulled the main jet emulsion tube out and made sure that all the little holes on the sides are cleaned, shot cleaner down every port I saw but nothing. Is there a port on these carb that is harder to find?

Considering the low cost of a rebuild kit, I would do a rebuild or just replace it.. Sounds like you are reusing old gaskets, they could be leaking enough to lean out the mix.

If you use any ethanol fuel, it will clog the jet size with a yellowish gum that clings to the wall of the jet. You can still see thru it and carb cleaner won't cut it. Remove the jets and use a set of wire cleaners for welding torches to clean out each jet. They have the welding jet cleaners at Harbor Freight very cheap. When you have it clean, put about 4 oz of Sea Foam in the gas and try again.

Disassemble the carb and clean it. On some carbs there are multible jets, venturis that get plugged. I use some small .014 wires to clean them. Berryman b-12 is a much better solvent that seafoam. Seafoam is 40% pale oil. The alternative is to buy a new carb. But on a generator that sits, even the new carb will eventually gum up, so it pays to learn how to disassemble and clean them. As mentioned above, the gaskets can leak , leaning things out.

Last edited:
Make sure there are no splits in the fuel supply line. You're running excessively lean which means either not enough fuel or too much air. Fuel supply could be clogged jet or split fuel line. Too much air could be leaking gasket or cracked manifold.

I had a snowblower that needed choke to run. Turned out the timing was off due to the flywheel key almost completely sheared.

watch the you tubes. there is something on there that covers it.

also ethanol will kill OPE, don't care what anyone says, (unless they are real anal about not leaving it in). the carb on my high dollar Echo trimmer and husqavarna blower (Zama) were both made in China and factory replacements off Ebay were less than $20 each.

also you may need to replace fuel lines.

let us know if you find what works. I have a 15 y.o. Honda 1000 that is doing pretty much the same thing.

Had this happen with my blower, would only run with choke on first click then eventually that winter it required two clicks but when it got under load it would start stumbling. Went to get a rebuild kit and the guy gave me the kit but also gave me a little bottle of Star Tron and told me to try that first. After a couple more times of using the blower it started clearing up and eventually started running with out the choke. I still have the kit and never did use it. I just put a couple cap fulls in every time I fill it up.

I do agree that these carbs are so cheap that may be your best option. I got one for $15 off ebay just in case it happens again.

Originally Posted By: vwmaniaman
If you use any ethanol fuel, it will clog the jet size with a yellowish gum that clings to the wall of the jet. You can still see thru it and carb cleaner won't cut it. Remove the jets and use a set of wire cleaners for welding torches to clean out each jet. They have the welding jet cleaners at Harbor Freight very cheap. When you have it clean, put about 4 oz of Sea Foam in the gas and try again.

All you need to use is small STEEL wire that is relatively stiff. I use twist ties with the plastic removed. Most twist ties use 27 gauge steel wire. They work well and don't cost anything. After poking the wire through all of the small orifices, spray carb cleaner through them to clean them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back