Primacy MXM4 or Pilot Sport AS 3+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had the Primacy MXM4 on my Accord for about 5 years now. They wore evenly, were quiet, seemed to have good traction... Overall I was happy with them.

It is time to replace and I am seeing that the Primacy MXM4 is about $50 per tire more expensive than the new Pilot Sport AS3+. Does anybody know why that would be? Is the construction on the MXM4 better or more robust? I understand the tradeoffs in performance between the two, more comfortable and quiet vs better grip and shaper handling, and could be happy with either if I knew they were built to the same standard for quality control and internal construction.

OE tires like the MXM4 are always going to be more expensive. Save the $200 and get the Pilot Sport AS3+
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: spf182
I've had the Primacy MXM4 on my Accord for about 5 years now. They wore evenly, were quiet, seemed to have good traction... Overall I was happy with them.

It is time to replace and I am seeing that the Primacy MXM4 is about $50 per tire more expensive than the new Pilot Sport AS3+. Does anybody know why that would be? Is the construction on the MXM4 better or more robust? I understand the tradeoffs in performance between the two, more comfortable and quiet vs better grip and shaper handling, and could be happy with either if I knew they were built to the same standard for quality control and internal construction.

A question of interest. How many miles did you put on the Primacy MXM4's? Are they worn out or are you replacing to age and checking?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS

the General Tire Altimax RT43 is in that class. Very nice tire for low dollars. It is ranked by tire rack higher than the Primicy MXM.

I have a set on my wifes Minivan and they handle quite well. She had MXV4s that wire out at 35K. We made the swap and have not been dissapointed. Quiet, good wet traction, we dont get snow in Houston so I can't say but every other weather condition they are excellent.

Michelin are the greatest tires in the world. You can't go wrong with either one.

Dry rot is included in some instances at no extra charge!

Your OEM tires might be quieter, ride better, last longer and have better winter traction than the more performance oriented Pilot Sport AS 3+'s. My conspiracy guess why the OEM Michelin's cost more is that Michelin tries to recoup the expensive cost to develop & test OEM tires by passing the buck onto those buying them in the replacement market.

I'm going to admit something here. I have never rotated these tires. I promise I will rotate the next set.

There, with that off my chest, I can tell you that the they haven't cupped, or flat spotted, feathered, or any of the other annoying things previous tires have done. They have 50k miles on them. The front are at 4/32 and the rear are 6/32. I suppose if I had rotated them they would be at 5/32. If I were to run them to the legal 2/32 I guess, based on wear rate,that would mean around 80k miles life. I am replacing a bit early because I hear rain traction begins to suffer at 4/32 - age is also a consideration. I'll change them out in advance of the winter. I used to race bikes and ride motorcycles so my cost-benefit analysis on tires is biased to safety more than cost.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS

the General Tire Altimax RT43 is in that class. Very nice tire for low dollars. It is ranked by tire rack higher than the Primicy MXM.

I have a set on my wifes Minivan and they handle quite well. She had MXV4s that wire out at 35K. We made the swap and have not been dissapointed. Quiet, good wet traction, we dont get snow in Houston so I can't say but every other weather condition they are excellent.

I've heard good things about them. There are a few other models that are appealing also. I think in general top tier modern tires are all good, but vary in design goals.

I've got pilot as3+ on my Camry. Love them, balanced good great hydroplaning resistance. Not sure on snow I'm in
Tennessee.

I've put 7k on them, they are a still a good buy to me.

What size do you have on your car? I would see if they make the Michelin premier A/S in your size. Wouldn't recommend the pilot sport A/S three if you get any kind of snow in the winter time.

Good question about the AS3+. We've been very pleased with the mxm4 tires, which we installed on our old vw, and we have as OE fitment on our Odyssey. Were around 7/32 with 25k on the tires, so can't complain.

I've not had AS/3s but I did have a set of AS/2s on my LS. I also ran Primacy MXM4s on the LS at one point, and have a set now on the MKZ.

Both are excellent tire, but for a traveler/people hauler IMO the MXM4 has the definite advantage. For "fun" driving in the LS, I found the AS2s to be both grippier and be more predictable in how they broke loose at their limits. With that said, I have a sports car for that kind of driving now, so don't drive that way anymore in a sports sedan.

Again, comparing both tires on the same car, I find the MXM4 to be quieter, smoother riding, and the traction is overall much more rounded. What I mean is that while I found the AS/2s I had to excel in dry handling, the MXM4s did(and do) act more gracefully in wet handling and especially in the winter.

For a people hauler Accord, the choice would be easy for me to pick the MXM4. In fact, when I bought tires for the MKZ a few months ago, I was faced with the exact same choice so I'm putting my money where my mouth is so to speak and telling you that I bought the MXM4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back