New SUV thoughts and opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks:

In the market for a new luxury SUV and test drove the following

a) Tesla X : Amazing vehicle but total cost would be $100K. Love it.
b) Acura MDX: Nice vehicle but cannot see it to be a luxury SUV, it is no where close to being called a luxury vehicle
c) MB GLE350 : Great vehicle but many features bundled up that I don't ever will use for which there is a premium. Unreliable
c) BMW X5: This is what my spouse likes but it cannot ever make it to the list. There hasn't been an BMW owner that I have met who would buy another one. Extremely over engineered and unreliable and expensive to repair.
d) Lexus RX: Already have a Lexus and low on the list
e) Audi Q5/Q7: Great vehicle and top on the list. Quite reliable and wonderful features, second row seats are small for my liking.

I usually stay away from American vehicles as they all are unappealing to me.

Any thoughts..

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Folks:

b) Acura MDX: Nice vehicle but cannot see it to be a luxury SUV, it is no where close to being called a luxury vehicle
c) MB GLE350 : Great vehicle but many features bundled up that I don't ever will use for which there is a premium. Unreliable
c) BMW X5: This is what my spouse likes but it cannot ever make it to the list. There hasn't been an BMW owner that I have met who would buy another one. Extremely over engineered and unreliable and expensive to repair.
e) Audi Q5/Q7: Great vehicle and top on the list. Quite reliable and wonderful features, second row seats are small for my liking.

Any thoughts..

My vote is for the Q7, X5, GLE350 in that order. I don't know how "unreliable" those last two are, expensive to fix i agree with that.

Doesn't Mazda make an SUV larger than their CX5? I thought I read an article where it compared favorably with similar sized SUV's that were much more expensive.

Us news and world report car rankings has pretty good and accurate descriptions including performance and reliability.

If you are in the market for a luxury suv, you should be in the market for expensive repairs. They go hand in hand, it comes with the territory. Personally, id opt for Mercedes over the others, it comes down to budget and what you are looking for. Not impressed with your current Lexus or are you just looking for a change?

I'm surprised you picked the GLE350 vs the Q7. The GLE use to be the ML350, it should be more like GLS450 vs Q7. But if you think the GLE has too much stuff, the GLS probably has even more. Heated and cooled cup holders are available. I'm sorta surprised you think the Q7 is more reliable, Audi never really had a good rep for that, but I know someone who has one and hasn't really complained about it. Then again, I also know someone with the GLS and he likes it. I got a Mercedes because of the 3, they seemed a bit better for reliability. BMW and Audi are worse. But if you're buying new, you'll have the bumper to bumper warranty for 4/50k on MB and there are extended MB warranties available. I found it strange that Audi doesn't really do extended warranties, you end up with 3rd party warranties.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Doesn't Mazda make an SUV larger than their CX5? I thought I read an article where it compared favorably with similar sized SUV's that were much more expensive.

The new CX-9 with the 2.5T would be at the top of my list.....I know, I know, it's not a 'luxury' vehicle...but I'm more about functionality than 'goodies'.....The top of the line 'Signature' series starts at 44K and is as much luxury as I'll ever want or need...

How often will you really need the third row seat and for who? You'd love the ride quality of the Q7 with the optional air suspension.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
If you are in the market for a luxury suv, you should be in the market for expensive repairs. They go hand in hand, it comes with the territory. Personally, id opt for Mercedes over the others, it comes down to budget and what you are looking for. Not impressed with your current Lexus or are you just looking for a change?

Exactly-and higher than average cost of just regular maintenance.

I know you said no American vehicles, but an Expedition is very nice. Failing that, Volvo XC90. I've had both as rental vehicles. If I wanted an SUV, they'd be #s 1 and 2 on the short list.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Folks:

Any thoughts..

Wife has had her Q5 for almost 3 years now. Overall, it's been great.

However, the new one is made in Mexico, and in first year of production, so I would be a little apprehensive for now.

I'd go with the Audi. Parents neighbors have the BMW and love it. If you can afford the car then you should be able to maintain it no problem, especially if you are a research and DIY type.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Rolla07

Exactly-and higher than average cost of just regular maintenance.

But the thing I wonder about is that people who seem to buy these types of cars new typically don't hold them for the long term so the repairs aren't really that big of a deal because of the bumper to bumper warranty. There are maintenance packages available on MB that makes it a bit more reasonable. Not sure why they do that but I've heard of people being told that instead of paying $800 for a service visit to buy the 3 service pack for $1200 instead and the next two would be covered. Maybe they're just discounted to maintain dealer loyalty.

SUVs, since becoming popular in the mid 90s, have trended towards unibody designs and transverse engine mounting. Smaller and smaller engines are being used with ever increasing transmission gears. They have gone from being trucks to now being more like big, tall economy cars.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
I know you said no American vehicles, but an Expedition is very nice. Failing that, Volvo XC90. I've had both as rental vehicles. If I wanted an SUV, they'd be #s 1 and 2 on the short list.

Tahoe,Suburban or Yukon would be worth considering IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back