Minimum oil level to run? Oil change starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I was changing out on a 1989 Toyota Van. I had it up on ramps. I added about 2-2.2 quarts. I didn't check the level as it was elevated at an angle. I then started it, and back off the ramps to level it on flat ground.

The oil was all the way at the very bottom of the dipstick (i.e not in the cross-hatch area, but down below at the very bottom of the stick.) I had to add another 1.3 - 1.5 quarts to bring it up to 3/4 or so of the cross-hatch area.

Did I risk damage by starting it with the lower amount? Would being on the ramp make it harder to suck up the oil?

Thanks for any thoughts.

No problem, running it for a few minutes that way. Oil might heat up too much if you drive around like that a lot, but short periods of time, no problem.
Oil pickup tubes-screens reach down to the lowest area of the oil sump, so you had plenty in there to grab.
No oil pressure light, no problem, generally, and certainly in your case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
OIL PRESSURE LIGHT OFF, means the engine was circulating oil so no damage. Ed

Oil pressure light is broken, it's a common thing on these.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Why didnt you put more in it before backing it off? 90% of the cars on the road take between 4 and 5 qts. 4 would have been safe for sure.

Because I was stupid.

Very Short period no issue. I know of someone that ran low oil level and the internals showed high temps on early rebuild. Oil pressure switch wont show if your pumping lot of air and air won't cool or provide much lubrication.

Originally Posted By: ArtDecoWorld
Because I was stupid.

No, you weren't. There was plenty of oil to grab and circulate, just to get off the ramps. No damage.

Originally Posted By: ArtDecoWorld
Would being on the ramp make it harder to suck up the oil?
That part of your original question: Should be fine with 2 to 2.5 quarts added, and remember an engine has about 1/2 to 1 quart you can't drain out completely, so still enough to cover on the ramp, tilted, the oil pickup got it.

If you were doing an oil change, why wouldn't you have just added the recommended fill amount before starting the engine?
In any event, as long as the oil pressure light went out quickly on the start, no harm was done since the oil pump was sucking oil and not air.
In the future, just add what the sump takes before starting the engine.

Hey, you remembered to add oil. No harm, no foul.
grin2.gif

This. I wouldn't run that low on the road by any means, but you had adequate pressure so the engine was being lubricated.

You've had a scare and now have learned a lesson
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010

This. I wouldn't run that low on the road by any means, but you had adequate pressure so the engine was being lubricated.

You've had a scare and now have learned a lesson
smile.gif

I believe he said his oil pressure light is broken, but he'd be fine to get off the ramps to add the additional oil needed.

Whimsey

This is BITOG and no-one asked the obvious question.

Which OIL was it? If it was the magical unicorn tears type, one drop is good for 50K miles.

HOBO oil and a Fram filter, your done for.
smile.gif

You're fine, just don't do it again.
blush.gif

At least you put some in it before backing it off.

I remember the you tube video of the guy (with a Smart car I think) that drained the oil, removed and replaced filter, started it, backed it off the ramps, moved the ramps, backed it up, turned it off, then added the oil.

Cars are certified to use on the steepest San Fransisco street. Your ramps are nothing like that. And they're also good to run up to a quart low, left over from when you'd puncture a quart can to top off. Many owners manuals will read that you shouldn't add oil until you have room to add a quart.

I do what you do, fill a little low, back off the ramps, shut down, check, and top off. This also fills the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back