labor to replace struts/shocks on Nissan/Infiniti

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my wife's 2007 M35 with 102K miles, it seems from the tire wear that it's time to replace the front struts and rear shocks. I can buy KYB Excel G parts for less than $300 delivered, so there's no way I will pay through the nose for parts from the Infiniti dealer.

Excluding high cost areas like CA and NY, anyone have any recent experience knowing the labor for this job on a like year Nissan Maxima or Infiniti? The internet quotes by www.repairpal.com and others don't list the labor, only the total cost.

For a non AWD car its about 4 hours plus alignment. Always get the mounts bump stops and boots as well since you're in there.

I bought KYB excel G parts and had them installed, they have been very good. Like stock. Id agree on 3-4 hours plus alignment.

Get an estimate from your local area here if you want someone else to do it.

https://repairpal.com/

If you're doing it yourself with a basic garage you'd better double the estimates they are giving and be daym careful with the springs.

I did my tacoma with a 6 pack in tow. rears took all of 30 minutes, fronts tool longer because of all the stuff you had to remove and loosen to get to them.

Other than time, it wasn't bad but it tied up the truck all day.

You can do it without an alignment immediately afterward if you don't need one now. jut mark the parts with a paint stick so you put them back exactly (+/-) where they were. If in doubt, get an alignment.

Has the car ever seen salty roads? If so, it will be a bit riskier to DIY since things tend to rust up and then snap when you apply a lot of torque from a breaker bar.

Repairpal does break down the parts and labor cost. Just click on "view estimate details
smile.gif

The labor estimate is about $300 for the front two. Of course, you will also need an alignment.

The rears you can probably do yourself since they're just shocks with no spring to compress.

I just replaced struts of 2006 Sentra. I got all weird numbers from the mechanics, from $120/each to Pepboys in Bronx quoted me $330 to install all 4. I had Gabrield ReadyMounts (don't buy them, not impressed).

Since I didn't want to pay even that (because that was the whole reason for buying ReadyMounts), I installed myself. Bought new impact wrench and it was a breeze (and I just started working on the cars 2 months ago, so not even an amateur). Screwed up on the last one when the bolt snapped at 20 ft/lb torque. That cost me a little to fix. Even though I spent a little more than $330, at the end I got a tool so not all money wasted with the idea of DIY.

Do you have YourMechanic.com in your area? They come to your place, expensive but everything will be done in front of you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back