Hyundai Canister Oil Filter vs. Fram Ultra ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the pressure differences between the above two filters ? I read that the Hyundai oil filter provides greater flow / less filtering capability than the Fram Ultra which provides reduced flow / better filtering ? *I want to say there must be a min. oil pressure spec from Hyundai (with respect to flow), so curious where the Fram Ultra oil pressure rates with respect to the Hyundai OEM oil filter ? *Hopefully the experts will understnd the filter "pressure" question I'm asking between these two filters as my wording may be off ...

Since Fram Ultra uses 100% glass fiber media, you get plenty of flow, minimal pressure drop, and the best filtering efficiency. Paper media filters like Hyundai's oil filter can't compete. The media is different.

The Fram Ultra will be fine and is one of the best filters on the market. You won't see a difference in oil pressure. Hyundai filters are built very well, but aren't really that special, especially when it comes to filtration efficiency. The infamous Hyundai/Kia oil filter TSB often gets blown way out of proportion. Really it just says that oil filters of unknown quality or compatibility can cause issues, which is definitely true. However, quality filters such as WIX and Fram (and many others) are all just fine.

I believe the TSB was from the early 2000's. You won't have any issues with the ultra on any of your vehicles.

Use whatever is cheaper and easier to come by.

I run Fram Ultra's on all my family's cars 2005 Civic just sold 2009 Honda Fit, new lease return Rav4 for the wife, and now my Hyundai 2013 Elantra GT that received a new motor at 14,000 just 7 months ago. I had my car in 3 times for the "Hyundai tick of death" I heard Hyundai mechanics tell you you need to run only OEM filters. Some have the "tick of death " stop by changing to the OEM filter. Some don't and can get a new motor because of piston slap from the worn out piston skirt coating and then piston material.

After 800 miles on the new motor I called Fram's tech dept. There is basically one guy there and has been there for years and years. He stated Fram increased metal can thickness and matched differential pressures to match OEM Hyundai filters a good couple of years ago. As with most synthetic filter media, most flow better then OEM cellulose and trap more particulates because the filter media is 3 dimensional and dirt can embed deeper in the filter media and still flow oil past embedded dirt. This,vs "caking" or fast covering of cellulose filter holes of non-synthetic "flat" filter media. He also stated Hyundai's have a higher oil pressure then most cars, hence the increased can thickness upgrade.

He said Fram has tests that their filter flows better then the OEM filter, so no worries of using Fram Ultras. As car/truck and machinery owners we have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that states we do not have to use the manufacture filters/oils to retain factory warranty. If they demand the use of their oil or filters to keep warranty, the law states the manufacture has to provide it for free. He also added they just got done testing their tests for approving their 20,000 mile per use rating. You will see in a bit printed on the new boxes that Fram Ultrs can be used for 20,000 miles.I am now running Fram Ultra's.

Obviously Hyundai has issues designing motors with all the "weird" engine issues. Then saying you need to run their filter because of the "Hyundai tick of death".

http://www.mikethemechanic.com/about/magnuson-moss-warranty-act/

Last edited:
I use the Fram XG9688 on both my Hyundais for two oil changes intervals, 10k and 15k miles depending on the car. No problem with pressures.

The Hyundai bypass setting is 20 lbs. But this will not show up on an oil pressure gauge.

Thanks for the replies , so I assume the Fram Ultra will have a similar 20 lbs. bypass pressure rating as the Hyundai OEM filter ?
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
The Hyundai bypass setting is 20 lbs. But this will not show up on an oil pressure gauge.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Thanks for the replies , so I assume the Fram Ultra will have a similar 20 lbs. bypass pressure rating as the Hyundai OEM filter ?
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
9-15 psi says Fram. Personally the lower numbers are desirable in my view.

Fram XG 9688

I'm sure there is a Wix filter for Hyundai but I have not looked it up ... Wix oil filters confuse me as I have read there are good and not so good Wix oil filters ?
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Hyundai OEM is a Kroean-made Mann.

What does Wix spec for your car? Do they have a Hyundai-specific filter?

What I meant is that sometimes Wix will have a special filter with a mfr-spec bypass setting, rather than just use the generic filter that fits.

One example of this is with Subarus. The Wix Subaru-specific filter is 57055, with the high bypass setting. The e\generic filter of the same size with a more typical bypass setting is the 57356.

In your case, the regular generic sized filter would be 51334. If Wix has a different filter for your car, it is probably a Hyundai-specific design.

*Can you get more than one 7500 mile OCI on a Hyundai canister oil filter on a well kept engine ?
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Since Fram Ultra uses 100% glass fiber media, you get plenty of flow, minimal pressure drop, and the best filtering efficiency. Paper media filters like Hyundai's oil filter can't compete. The media is different.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
*Can you get more than one 7500 mile OCI on a Hyundai canister oil filter on a well kept engine ?
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Not according to Hyundai but I'm sure many have.

I'm thinking whether to try the Fram Ultra oil filter instead of the OEM one on my Elantra Sport TGDI or not? Any Hyundai TGDI owner using it and can give some feedback?

Since got no feedback from my above post so just tried the Fram Ultra anyway.
Well, I noticed it's smoother and quieter. Seems help to reduce the warm up during cold start too even below 0C. So positive.

This is a few months old, but I've been running the Fram Ultra on my 2017 Hyundai Elantra 2.0L. No issues whatsoever, and am about halfway through my second oil change with it, approx 10k miles right now. I'll change it out with the next oil change.

L8R,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back