New Sig P-229 Stainless Elite

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been toying with buying one of these for quite some time now. I already have the P-226 Stainless Elite, and a P-226 SCT, and I really love both of them. I think the Stainless Elite is one of the most beautifully crafted pistols around. What's held me off are 2 things. One is cost, (these things aren't cheap). The other is finding one. It seems now that Sig has started making the Stainless Elite models with Aluminum frames, that's all you can find out there.

The P-229 Stainless Elite models that have both a Stainless frame and slide are becoming more expensive, and harder to obtain. I've even heard that Sig is phasing them out of production.

Enter Cabela's. I saw they were showing them to be "in stock" at the Glendale Cabela's by me for $1,179.99. Not too bad.

SIG Sauer® P229® Pistols : Cabela's

Especially when a local LGS in my neighborhood is selling one for $1,248.95.

AZFirearms - Sig Sauer P229 Elite in 9mm Semi Auto Pistol - New

So I called Cabela's to check stock before I drove over. And much to my surprise they not only told me they had 4 in stock, but they were also closeout priced for just $1,061.88! Because according to the guy I spoke with, they can no longer order any more of them. This also coincides with what I read as far as Sig getting away from the all Stainless frame and slide Elite's, and going to the cheaper Aluminum frame models.

And to sweeten the pot even more, I had a "$20.00 Off" coupon they had sent me, which knocked it down to $1,041.88. So I jumped in my truck, drove over, got in line, and grabbed one. The gun comes with 2, 15 round magazines, and is just beautiful. If it runs as good as my other 2 P Models, I'll be a happy camper!

vlZKN45.jpg

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Very nice. Now THAT is the kind of gun that Sig is really good at.

I agree. If it's true that they are phasing the all Stainless Steel Elite's out of production, it's rather disappointing. I'm not sure, but I don't believe any of the new Legion Models have all Stainless frame and slides. Even though they carry the same high, or higher price.

I just checked Sig's website. They do not list Stainless Steel framed guns anywhere. Even the Stainless Elite's now are all being produced with Aluminum frames. I really hate when manufacturers do that. Calling a Stainless gun Stainless, without a Stainless frame is a bit misleading, and outright false advertising. Especially in the case of Sig, when they once were all Stainless. Beretta does much the same with their "Inox" Stainless guns. They are all Aluminum framed.

One easy way to tell is the difference in color. An all Stainless Steel gun will match in color from slide to frame. The Aluminum framed "Stainless" guns have a distinct color variation. On the Beretta Inox models, the frames almost appear white in color. In comparison to the silver color of the actual Stainless Steel slide.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I just checked Sig's website. They do not list Stainless Steel framed guns anywhere. Even the Stainless Elite's now are all being produced with Aluminum frames. I really hate when manufacturers do that. Calling a Stainless gun Stainless, without a Stainless frame is a bit misleading, and outright false advertising. Especially in the case of Sig, when they once were all Stainless. Beretta does much the same with their "Inox" Stainless guns. They are all Aluminum framed.

One easy way to tell is the difference in color. An all Stainless Steel gun will match in color from slide to frame. The Aluminum framed "Stainless" guns have a distinct color variation. On the Beretta Inox models, the frames almost appear white in color. In comparison to the silver color of the actual Stainless Steel slide.

Yes, they do say the frame is stainless:

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p229-stainless-elite-compact-ap.html

Same with the P226:

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p226-stainless-elite-full-size.html

I personally own the P226 Elite Stainless and it is a very beautiful gun.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: billt460

Yes, they do say the frame is stainless:

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p229-stainless-elite-compact-ap.html

Same with the P226:

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p226-stainless-elite-full-size.html

I personally own the P226 Elite Stainless and it is a very beautiful gun.

I have the P-226 Stainless Elite as well. The Stainless frame Elite's are my favorite Sig guns. I'm still wondering for how long the Stainless frames will be available, seeing as Cabela's said they can't order any more of them. I can't imagine why Sig Sauer would turn down one of the biggest firearms retailers in the country. Cabela's moves a lot of guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back