Pt cruiser coolant pressure test findings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a pressure test on the ex wife's car and it's slowly using coolant. It's a non turbo 2.4l when the upper plenum was off in the first intake chamber I could hear a hissing noise when I did the pressure test. Never saw coolant just heard the hissing. Would that be a head gasket leak for sure? I'm not all that familiar with this engine all things considered.

Well known issue on PTCruisers (ask me how I know) are coolant /cooling problems. Cracked heads, warped heads or blown head gaskets are common, as are radiator fan failures. Do the compression tests, as suggested, and take it from there.

Doesn't matter that you never saw coolant, once the engine gets up to temperature and cooling system pressure it will find it's way wherever it can go. Ideally it can only go where it's supposed to, but regardless, if there is a path it's not supposed to go, it will go there too.

Buy a bottle of coolant dye ($10) and a blacklight bulb ($3) for your trouble light, and you will see every coolant leak, slow or fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back