08 Pontiac Torrent with 3.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in process of rebuilding a front crash on a Pontiac Torrent which dropped trans fluid because of damage to the radiator. It recommends T4 trans fluid which is $15 a quart at the dealership. It is a sealed trans with the dipstick mounted way down below the engine mount.

Questions, does anyone have knowledge on changing the filter? Draining fluid plug? Is there another fluid that can be used besides GM's T4?

Have an 09 Chevy Equinox 3.4L with same engine trans set up now as part of extended family stable, acquired from another family member. I can tell you the fill hole where dipstick goes is a real pita to get to. I took it to an indie that has done work on my Hondas,(timing belt), he works on Toyotas now too.

He put it up on a lift and let me watch the whole procedure. It requires a very long extension on a ratchet to reach the bolt holding the dipstick. He drained and measured amount in a container. Then he took a fluid pump with a long flexible tube to refill. Had to stop after it reached top/overflow and snug the bolted dipstick. Then started vehicle and ran it gently through the gears on the lift. Then stopped and finished topping up the ATF. It came very close to getting same amount back in, I was satisfied. Now way in [censored] I could have done it myself. It took two guys with a lift and required tools, and they did a professional job.

He used Toyota T4 which was fine because that's what he uses on the Toyotas he services. Had I been able to do it myself, I would have used MaxLife and been very confident. However in this case I felt very good just to find a shop to do it, and do it to my satisfaction. So T4 it was.

Just went back to reread your post. Yeah, AC Delco T4 using their application number is absurdly priced. The indie I went to called the local GM dealer and they quoted him some whacked out price. I called and asked too, and the price was so whacked I quickly dismissed it as a I knew T4 or equivalents could be found for much less.

Toyota's T4 is the same stuff and you've seen the link for the Aisin at Napa. Really though T4 not a difficult spec to meet imo. As noted had I been able to do it myself, I would have used Full Synthetic MaxLife.

As my prior post explains though, choosing the ATF for this application is the least difficult part of the job.

I've never paid more than $6/qt for Toyota T-IV at a Toyota dealership...if we're talking about the same ATF. I didn't know that GM used a similar ATF (T4)???

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I've never paid more than $6/qt for Toyota T-IV at a Toyota dealership...if we're talking about the same ATF. I didn't know that GM used a similar ATF (T4)???

Yes the Equinox/Torrent 3.4L models of that generation use an Aisin AF33 Transmission and T4 is spec. As noted, ACDelco branded T4 very pricey.

I wonder if the OP will come back, or if after reading the required procedure was left too discouraged to reply.
55.gif

I saw Maxlife Fully Synthetic ATF at the grocery store this morning for $6.29. Not too bad for automotive stuff at Giant Eagle. Usually their automotive prices are sky high.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Many Walmart stores are no longer carrying MaxLife ATF any longer.
frown.gif

True. And my "conspiracy theory" is WM wanted to push/sell their own Super Tech Low Viscosity ATF which costs more so they removed ML from shelves. Might not be true but clearly that's the way it's worked out.

That said, MaxLife is still available through Walmart.com for gallon.

I had an 05 Equinox which is the same thing. The fill plug is right where you said, there is a small nut that holds it down. I forget the size. The filter is non serviceable unless you are tearing apart the transmission. For the fluid you can use any T-IV fluid (Toyota's brand tends to be cheaper at the dealership) or Mobil 3309. The last time I had changed the fluid on that vehicle I used maxlife and a whole bottle of lubeguard red and I have to say it made the biggest difference in terms of the performance. If it was my vehicle I would use maxlife and LGR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back