Coming Soon: New Canadian Tire Syn oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't on the shelf yet, but the other day merchandising people in my store made new homes for 'Formula 1 Premium Synthetic Oil".

It will sell for $49.99/5-liter jug; versus $43.99 for 'regular' Formula 1 full-synthetic. It will be 5W-30; 5W-20, and 0W-20.

No other details on it, but stay tuned, this will be interesting - maybe a Canadian Tire 'long drain' synthetic oil!

They have improved their oil selection in the recent past with the euro oils and I think they introduced a HDEO 5W40 recently as well. I actually bought some of the 0W40 euro but gave it to my dad as I got a new car before I could use it. I don't understand why they would release a generic oil priced to compete with name brands that they already heavily discount. They always have those 40%-50% off promotions on edge or m1. Maybe they have seen the popularity of those sales and are trying to duplicate that success with a generic brand. I don't really like the quality of their generic products, but they are the best retail place to get name brand 40 weights like edge or m1 for cheap. I do like borrowing tools and buying mann filters from partsource , however.

Why is Canadian Tire importing engine oil when our own petro-chemical industry is struggling with layoffs and low prices?
Alberta and Saskatchewan residents should boycott the product and hold CT accountable.

It seems most of their product is made by Citgo now. Wonder who is making this new stuff? But yes they have expanded their oil line up. But alas the only deals I can really find is their synthetic gas oils on sale.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
So $39.50 USD for a five liter jug of the premium. Certainly that's no bargain.

Welcome to Canada. We need to wait for promotions and sales when buying oil up here. Its better to buy Pennzoil platinum or ultra when its on sale at CT.

The CT oil will be on sale a couple times a year for 45% off, but even then its like $27 and M1 is often on sale for $29. I've almost stopped going there unless there is a sale as their normal prices seem to be inflated so they can have these large sales...
Even PYB is regularly $32 so the sale price is reasonable at $19...

Over the years I have noticed that when the "regular" synthetic oil is on full price, Costco usually is the cheapest $/Litre if not always the cheapest. I use the Costco price as a benchmark. The downside is that Costco only offers Castrol.

CT does have some good deals from time to time but you have to play the waiting game.

Walmart tends to have the best deal in terms of $/Litre but you need to be vigilant. I've seen favorites like PP goes on sale. Sometimes Valvoline Synpower but M1 is a bit rare.

Between Walmart, Can Tire, TSC stores and the local parts store, I can almost always buy conventional for $14/5 litres or Syn [grp 3] for $22 /5 litres. Don't seem to have a problem. Just buy enough for 2 OCIs when you make the trip to the store.
747 auto parts in Toronto and Markham still have deal on Syn and semi Syn right now. Stock up!

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
So $39.50 USD for a five liter jug of the premium. Certainly that's no bargain.

No, but they'll periodically roll it back for us to chase sales.
wink.gif

In reference to userfriendly's comments, I've always wondered why CT hasn't used Petro-Canada stuff. They do supply plenty of bulk stuff.

Canadian Tire was just running Pennzoil Platinum for $31/CAD I believe, and the much sought after Pennzoil ULTRA for $34/CAD. And those were for the 5 Liter jugs! The sale was showing as ending on Aug 1, but then that week the new flyer still had it on sale for another 2 weeks or so... at those prices, who would want to buy the house brand when you can get ULTRA?

As my vehicle takes 5.2L of oil (when changing with the filter) I prefer to buy the 5L jugs as is a HECK of a lot easier measuring out using a 5L and 200mL outta a single quart jug, VS some odd ball jug (Castrol & M1 = 4.4L, Valvoline = 4.7L), thats just me.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Why is Canadian Tire importing engine oil when our own petro-chemical industry is struggling with layoffs and low prices?
Alberta and Saskatchewan residents should boycott the product and hold CT accountable.

+1

All Motomaster-branded synthetic is made by CITGO now. It will be interesting to see what happens to the Motomaster conventional line. Wouldn't surprise me if CITGO takes over in the near future.

There is absolutely no reason why Canadian Tire should do any business with President Maduro's enterprise.

Originally Posted By: HOG
Canadian Tire was just running Pennzoil Platinum for $31/CAD I believe, and the much sought after Pennzoil ULTRA for $34/CAD. And those were for the 5 Liter jugs! The sale was showing as ending on Aug 1, but then that week the new flyer still had it on sale for another 2 weeks or so... at those prices, who would want to buy the house brand when you can get ULTRA

Plus the pennzoil rebates, another $10 CAD off the 5L jugs effectively made them in the low $20's for PP and PUP.

I think they are able to offer deeper discounts on their house brand motomaster, but at $50 I cant see it being any cheaper than $30 on sale. But if thats the sale when people go in... then its what a lot of people would probably grab.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back