A bizzare advertising strategy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roll tape:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that the subliminal message of this annoying spot is:
"Hyundai owners are embarrassing dorks- why not join them?"

Sing it Neil!!
laugh.gif

Anything is better than the dork in the Chevrolet commercials talking with morons about wifi in the car. I'm amazed at how stupid most car commercials are. Who approves and pays for this junk at car companies?

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Anything is better than the dork in the Chevrolet commercials talking with morons about wifi in the car. I'm amazed at how stupid most car commercials are. Who approves and pays for this junk at car companies?

You mean the one with the supposedly stylish and informed women, and intelligent men loooking surprised about Chevrolet products? Yeah, no..

Said it before.
First rule of advertising: Target your audience.

Chevy and morons, check.
Hyundai and dorks, check.
VW and young lovers, check.
RAM truck and adventure seekers, check.
Dodge cars and the young, law breaking, street racing, Fast and Furious crowd, check.
Subaru and dogs is really the only universal ad. Even cat lovers like the dog commercials.
Shoot my Goldendoodle called Uber the other day, and a boxer in a boxer powered Subie took her to the store for a bag of treats, and a diamond collar....I gotta put the remotes away when I'm not home... The dog watches too much tube.

Last edited:
Anyone who buys a "segment" car is by definition a dork. That's mostly what Asian/American carmakers are pumping out these days.

If your car needs an app so you can find it where you parked, then dork.

This thread and the judgements expressed here - are worse than the commercials ...

Not really. People are sometimes (as in: consistently) stupid (as in: image above all else) and the ad folk know it.

The current Toyota campaign featuring the family that doesn't know animal names (girrafatamous) and then the automatic brakes save them.

That Dodge commercial where the cars arrive trash the wedding reception (with the girl digging it).

The Subaru wife dreaming about being in the boxcar WITH THE DOG.

All painful in their way.

I would imagine these commercials are about creating buzz. Talk at the water cooler or in the lunchroom. "Hey, did you see that ________commercial where they were ________"

Then it drives people to the web to find it on-line to show others.

I am amazed at how many car commercials run on TV. Between the dealers and the manufacturers, it seems like a good 1/2 of the spots that run in the AM while I'm catching the news are automobile related.

The other half are new prescription drugs, half of those being the side effects....

That ad is about nothing more than exposure to the masses. In that sense it most likely succeeded.

We have a large, young and fairly well paid employee population at my work. I am stunned at the number of Sonata's and Optima's in the lot. The Koreans have definitely dealt the big Japanese names a hit.

Koreans don't buy Japanese or American either - so their companies do well at home and abroad ...

Funny commercials are effective. Makes you laugh, brain associates good feelings with product, this isn't rocket science people. Smart ad for Hyundai.

Originally Posted By: andyd
I miss the hamsters in the KIA Soul ads
Cute and funny is especially effective.

Another method is to appeal to pride or ego (desire to be attractive or hip), as in when they communicate "all the cool kids have this product, don't you want to be hip too?"

Part of their strategy might be to get someone to post the ad on an automotive discussion site.

I also miss the hamsters and the little toasters.

Remember "That thing got a HEMI?"

Originally Posted By: JamesBond

Those are the worst, I agree. Instead of "Real People" the ad should be labeled ""Real Imbeciles."

On a more positive note, the Zebra Corner parodies of the ads(on YouTube) are hysterical.

What's even funnier is that the PR dimwits at Chevrolet KNOW that the ads are being savaged but still think that they are a success...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back