Early change of Dexron HP fluid on a Chevy Bolt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents,

I went and bought a Chevy Bolt. This is GM's all electric car (238 miles range).

It's transmission couldn't be simpler. It just a 2-stage helical reduction gear set, reducing the electric motor's output by a ratio of 7.05 to 1.

GM uses Dexron HP* ("High Performance," backward compatible with Dexron VI and Dexron III), about 3 liters.

The fluid is, as far as I can tell, what's used to cool the motor and lubricate the gears, bearings, and differential. It's supposed to be "lifetime" fluid. There are no clutches in the transmission, it's just all gears.

I've had Priuses in the past - they have a similar setup - gears and an electric motor, no clutches. The Prius uses Toyota's WS transmission fluid, and Toyota also says it's "lifetime" fluid. With the Prius, it's a good idea to replace the transmission fluid, as used fluid analyses have shown the fluid to be in bad shape at about ~30,000 miles. After this change, it appears the next fill is good for "lifetime."

So, what say you? Should I replace the Dexron HP fluid once early on? Will doing so get rid of metal shavings that occur during the break-in of the gear set? Or, has BITOG gotten under my skin, and should I just leave well-enough alone?

Love to know your thoughts!

* It appears that Dexron HP is a Full-Synthetic (in the German sense of the definition).

For that system, changing at 10,000 miles might be good idea but I doubt this simple system will have much debris in it.

And yes, Dexron HP is a true synthetic.

Sure, why not? What other serviceable fluids does this thing even have? Brake fluid? You've got to have some sort of maintenance to keep you busy, otherwise you'll tun into one of those detailing people.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Sure, why not? What other serviceable fluids does this thing even have? Brake fluid? You've got to have some sort of maintenance to keep you busy, otherwise you'll tun into one of those detailing people.

Yeah. It's NOT the ideal car for a BITOG member. I now only have one car with an engine (Chevy Volt) and we use the engine so little that I have to change the oil and filter every 2 years. Since I don't need several gallons of (really good) oil, I'll be giving most of my stash of motor oil to relatives.

It's got 3 cooling loops (passenger cabin, battery, and electronics / transmission). These cooling loops all use Dexcool / Pure Water in a 50/50 mix. It also uses DOT 3 for the brakes, but the actual disc brakes are almost never used. No brake fluid changes are on the maintenance schedule.

Aside from 7,500 mile tire rotation, the only maintenance item until 150,000 miles is the cabin air filter - every 22,500 miles or 2 years, whichever comes first.

Where do you even get Dexron HP?
crazy2.gif

Maxlife doesn't claim HP yet
banana2.gif

Back in the day saturn used to say change the dexron in their stick shift cars once at 6000 miles to get rid of break in debris then never again.

I would be 100% sure to get the genuine GM part in case there are subtle electrical characteristics the aftermarket gets wrongly.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Back in the day saturn used to say change the dexron in their stick shift cars once at 6000 miles to get rid of break in debris then never again.

I would be 100% sure to get the genuine GM part in case there are subtle electrical characteristics the aftermarket gets wrongly.

+1.

Originally Posted By: Ram02
Lifetime fluid leave it alone

Agreed, maybe 10 years/100k change it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
...I would be 100% sure to get the genuine GM part in case there are subtle electrical characteristics the aftermarket gets wrongly.

Dexron HP is the GM spec. The only fluids I've seen that meet it is AC Delco, and one made by Mobil.

I'd dump the ATF before the 30K mark and make it a habit to change out every 30K then unless there's proof DexHP does hold up reasonably well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back