who's in charge of the checkbook in your household

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with my limited experience with women I figured I'd ask on here. I periodically have customers that talk about how their wife seems to be in charge of the budget and keeping track of the money. Sounds horrible to me, but okay. I always thought that the women spent the money oh shopping sprees, not actually keep track of it. lol

If your married you need to move to an "our" money vs hers and mine. But it can be done slowly. At the least have a joint checking account and each dump money in it to pay common expenses.

Easiest if both work and earn similar salary.

It's important each has some money to spend as they wish.

I pay @95% of our bills online. My wife balances the checkbook. We use an online budgeting tool and its associated app to track income, expenses, and savings.

With us,it's completely 50-50. We're a team,what's hers is mine and what's mine is hers. Everything is "ours" so everything is "our responsibility". That's the only way it'll work out. If there's not total and complete trust and respect,forget it. Every aspect of a successful relationship has to be completely transparent.

What's a ''checkbook ?'' I have a weekly allowance paid into a seperate account, and I have to save up for stuff I want. I don't know what happens to the rest of the money, and don't want to know.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
With us,it's completely 50-50. We're a team,what's hers is mine and what's mine is hers. Everything is "ours" so everything is "our responsibility". That's the only way it'll work out. If there's not total and complete trust and respect,forget it. Every aspect of a successful relationship has to be completely transparent.

+1000

Well said. We have 1 checking account 1 money market and 1 savings, all joint. I do have a healthcare credit union account, i use it only to payroll deduct an amount each month that i use to pay property taxes.

The wife and she is truly exceptional. She can budget a vacation for a year and has never paid interest on a credit card. She's paid every car loan off early and gets sick even thinking about debt! I handle the retirement side and she handles everything else. I buy what I want and when I peek at the checking account 3-4 times a year it's 5 figures so I can't complain.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
So with my limited experience with women I figured I'd ask on here. I periodically have customers that talk about how their wife seems to be in charge of the budget and keeping track of the money. Sounds horrible to me, but okay. I always thought that the women spent the money oh shopping sprees, not actually keep track of it. lol

She keeps track of her money, and spends your money !
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Well said.

We do have separate investment accounts for income tax purposes.

Checkbooks? What are those?!?

It's kinda nice having your money on a smartphone. Good luck getting past the fingerprint scanner honey!

Both of us!
We've been on the same page for 40 yrs with our bills.
We've know what's coming in & going out.
Everything in our lives is paid off & we've been mortgage free since 1995...a nice feeling!

I pay off the credit card every month. no interest incurred, as the nice man from India has reminded me a couple of times.

If it's over our "norm", we have a quick chat about the variables. If it's under, we have a quick chat and congratulate each other...bit like a monthly "operations review".

Worked out 20 years ago that a zero based "budget" isn't our world. Silk's "allowance" model is more like how we run the show...we both pay equally into an account that is exclusively sequestered for family holidays.

We spent nearly 10 years debt free, but 2017 has been the Colorado and a bigger house...the model will get us debt free again at (for me) 55.

It's really bad mojo in our relationship to start comparing discretionary expenditures.

I do. My wife is a traveling business professional and I'm not, so I'm always home to pay the bills. But most of our bills are set up for automatic bill pay.
My wife is the bread winner.

For the first 9 years we were married, it was me.

Gave it to her because that seems to be the only way she would really see how much she spends.

She spends less now that she has to make the money pay the bills.

I take care of all family finances. Have for the 45 years we have been married. We discuss all large purchases together. I rarely use a checkbook anymore as I do everything online.

LOL "Checkbook". What's that?

We make it and she spends it. As long as that debit card keeps working, "there must be money there". She earns a decent salary and we have no credit debt, so this system (although flawed) is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back