Pick my next Oil - 2012 Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have almost 9 months and 9.6K on my current fill of Edge EP 5w-20 with a Fram TG3614. Only down 1/4qt over this oci. I will be changing it out at 10K, next weekend probably. The focus has the 2.0L, 5sp, takes 5qts, warranty just expired.

Next OCI fill will be 1 year which will probably be right at 14-15K. (Pending my UOA results from current fill). Will see hot temps and then below zero temps for a few months.

Filter: FU3614, new 20K boxed one
Oil Choices are:
M1 AFE 0w-30, I have 5 or 6qts (Oldest) - my pick.
Edge EP 0w-20, I have 6qts (newest)
Edge EP 5w-30, I have 6qts (newest)
GC 0w-30, I have 6qts (middle age, saving for f150 ecoboost? don't think the focus warrants the use of these unicorn tears)

Have but wont run for 15K or 1 year
Mobil Super Syn 0w-20, I have 6qts (middle age)
Mobil Super Syn 5w-20, I have 5qts (middle age)

Originally Posted By: volk06
Next OCI fill will be 1 year which will probably be right at 14-15K.

Filter: FU3614, new 20K boxed one
Oil Choices are:
M1 AFE 0w-30, I have 5 or 6qts (Oldest) - my pick.
Edge EP 0w-20, I have 6qts (newest)
Edge EP 5w-30, I have 6qts (newest)
GC 0w-30, I have 6qts (middle age, saving for f150 ecoboost? don't think the focus warrants the use of these unicorn tears)

My choice would be Edge EP 0w-20 if you are ignoring the Ford IOLM and just going 1-year no matter what. Ford says not to exceed 1 year, which is probably good advice. With the EP you should have some extra margin taking it to 1-year and 15k miles.

So use the Castrol Edge 0w20 EP for the 15k interval, and then next year you might trade the car in, sell it, whatever. Your next car might take the xw30 weights better, especially if you get a turbo engine next year or so, very common engine these days.

Use the oversize Fram Ultra if the extra length won't be a problem, thats an XG3600 (Ultra) replacing the XG3614. The '3600 is longer. I've got one of the same size waiting to go on a Ford 2.0L shortly, and I hope it'll clear the 1.5" extra length!! We'll see. It should.

If you decide on the M1 0w30 AFE, I'd go by the IOLM exactly, no stretching, as neither Mobil nor Ford says to take it to 15k (1-year is fine, and up to 10k miles).

My 2014 Focus 2.0 takes only 4.5 quarts?

I would use the Edge 0W20.

Have you run an oversized oil filter in your Focus?
Have you ran 5w30 or 0w30 already?...If so, did it feel any different...sluggish?

Originally Posted By: pbm
My 2014 Focus 2.0 takes only 4.5 quarts??
My 2015 2.0L takes 4.5 quarts too. Mobil's website says the OP's 2012 Focus 2.0L takes 4.5 quarts. I saw that above, and just figured the the OP is an experienced oil guy and will check the dipstick after a change. Safe if you check the stick.

When I get back to Texas in October my Transit will be getting a jug of Magnatec 5w20. No worry about cold weather though unless you consider 40's cold

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
My 2015 2.0L takes 4.5 quarts too. Mobil's website says the OP's 2012 Focus 2.0L takes 4.5 quarts. I saw that above, and just figured the the OP is an experienced oil guy and will check the dipstick after a change. Safe if you check the stick.

This oil change takes 5 quarts because I know of no common oil manufacturer to bottle 1/2qt bottles. It takes (have to open) 5 quarts, that doesn't mean all 5 quarts get dumped in. I pour until the oil level hits max.

I see no need or benefit to use an oversized filter in this application.

Originally Posted By: volk06

This oil change takes 5 quarts because I know of no common oil manufacturer to bottle 1/2qt bottles. It takes (have to open) 5 quarts, that doesn't mean all 5 quarts get dumped in. I pour until the oil level hits max.

I see no need or benefit to use an oversized filter in this application.

The 3614 filter is fine and what I used on my 11' Focus

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: car51
Yeah, don't listen to that dumb advice.
smile.gif

The smaller the filter, the better, according to car51, king of dumb advice.
crackmeup2.gif

I put 175K on a 2007 Focus with the 2.0 using M1 0-20AFE at 10K OCIs. Engine was performing great when totaled in June. I also use that oil in my 2007 Fusion and my 2017 Fusion.

For long drains, use an oil with recognized certs that allow for them.
Of the oils you've listed, you know which one that would be.

Originally Posted By: car51
Yeah, don't listen to that dumb advice.
smile.gif

The smaller the filter, the better, according to car51, king of dumb advice.
crackmeup2.gif

Obviously, he doesn't need a long filter as it's NOT the CORRECT filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
More filter area is always a good thing. Especially on cold starts at 0*. Any oil is thick at that temp. So small filter area means the internal by pass opens until the oil is up toward OP temp. More area mean that it might pass enough cold oil to not open the by-pass, or it will close sooner ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
More filter area is always a good thing. Especially on cold starts at 0*. Any oil is thick at that temp. So small filter area means the internal by pass opens until the oil is up toward OP temp. More area mean that it might pass enough cold oil to not open the by-pass, or it will close sooner ...

True. An oversized filter, if it fits in the space, is always welcome. One other good thing about more filter area is that it lowers the speed of the oil through the media. The oil actually moves a bit slower through the media, meaning fewer particles get pushed through, and more get snagged in the Ultra's depth media.

True. An oversized filter, if it fits in the space, is always welcome. One other good thing about more filter area is that it lowers the speed of the oil through the media. The oil actually moves a bit slower through the media, meaning fewer particles get pushed through, and more get snagged in the Ultra's depth media.

The oil moves slower through the media of a larger filter?
Don't think so.
Even were this the case, debris capture depends upon pore size versus debris size.
It's not as though the media has a bunch of little hands reaching out to capture particles and it's able to catch more pop flies than hard grounders up the middle because it has the time to do so.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Looks like some people on here are suffering from filter envy
cool.gif

The conventional wisdom is that 'size doesn't matter' (except to size queens) but I ask about oversized filters because I got some Bosch D+ oversized filters (FL400 size) at the WM clearance....

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Looks like some people on here are suffering from filter envy
cool.gif

The conventional wisdom is that 'size doesn't matter' (except to size queens) but I ask about oversized filters because I got some Bosch D+ oversized filters (FL400 size) at the WM clearance....

Only reason I use oversize filter (3600 and 3614) is cause' the filter doesn't hang really low. On OP's Focus; a FL-400S or 3600 to me hangs dangerously low even with the shield on.

Oil movin slowly thru media of filter: total B.S.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

The oil moves slower through the media of a larger filter?
Don't think so.
Even were this the case, debris capture depends upon pore size versus debris size.
It's not as though the media has a bunch of little hands reaching out to capture particles and it's able to catch more pop flies than hard grounders up the middle because it has the time to do so.

Great imagery. It's like that Guiness commercial that had the roaring 20s speakeasy in the foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back