Solar Eclipse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm more interested in how things react on the ground ... How the critters act, etc.

Got my welding hood for the sun
laugh.gif

Get in the Totality and you will not need shades during the dark time, just before and after you will need the shades.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I'm more interested in how things react on the ground ... How the critters act, etc

+1. I saw a partial in '83 and was fascinated with the reactions of birds and such. Definitely an event. We're right on the edge here and it'll be a good show.

I'm figuring we are in the 75%ish zone. Watch it rain or be cloudy at eclipse time...

I bought a large glass 1/100000 solar filter from a telescope company, so it's designed for safe sun viewing and has the ISO test behind it.

I took a freebie harbor freight led flashlight and let it shine through. It was interesting to see how the LEDs looked, but I'll admit that I still had a slight remnant spot on my eye for a minute or two after... so even the fest solar films and filters still should only be used sparingly and with care. I'll likely use live view in my camera to view with a long lens.... and then wear my $1.98 ISO eclipse glasses as well.

The mechanism proposed in the link is very interesting and probably sensible. I suppose the remnant glow after something like a flash bulb going off is due to a local overwhelming of the forward reaction, and as the reverse reaction starts to bring things back to equilibrium, it fades away... but stay too long and permanent oxidation and damage can occur. I had only ever heard of the magnifying glass theory...

96% here-I'm not venturing into totality.

Unfortunately, glasses have become a hot commodity here. One of the local TV stations gave out several thousand pairs and had to recall them because they were counterfeit. The other TV stations in the area are supposed to be good.

I called the local welding supply to ask about #14 goggles and the lady laughed and said that they've been sold out for 3 weeks and couldn't get more in stock.

I ordered some Thousand Oaks branded material to make a camera filter, but unfortunately Amazon is giving me an estimated delivery of Tuesday-so not a lot of good to me.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
Unfortunately, glasses have become a hot commodity here. One of the local TV stations gave out several thousand pairs and had to recall them because they were counterfeit. The other TV stations in the area are supposed to be good.

And those counterfeit glasses probably had all the correct ISO numbers on them too, so how do you really know if they are safe to use? Knowing the source might help give confidence they are legitimate.

I called the local welding supply to ask about #14 goggles and the lady laughed and said that they've been sold out for 3 weeks and couldn't get more in stock.

I ordered some Thousand Oaks branded material to make a camera filter, but unfortunately Amazon is giving me an estimated delivery of Tuesday-so not a lot of good to me.

We're at ~80% here. I'm expecting a fair number of workers at our plant will take 10 or 15 minutes to go outside at maximum.

We were joking about getting solar eclipse glass at work. Tuesday should be a good time to shop, good availability and low prices.

I might try to make a pin-hole camera obscura this weekend, just something quick, a cardboard box, some aluminum foil, wax paper and of course, duct tape. It'll be like I'm a kid again.

About 93% where I'm at.
I'm taking my welding helmet to work and will use my lunchtime to observe the "peak" for about an hour.
Hoping the weather is clear!

Yikes! We got some from Lowe's... Hope theyre reputable...

Bought the real deal from a trusted telescope company for my camera. Im tempted to just observe thru live view on my camera, which ought to be the safest option...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I'm more interested in how things react on the ground ... How the critters act, etc.

Got my welding hood for the sun
laugh.gif

A number of Amateur Radio operators are going to be doing experiments to see if propagation changes during the eclipse.

Should be interesting whether visual or electromagnetic.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:

Taken with Sony A6000 kit zoom lens; 1/4000 sec. f/32 210mm; no filter; I was surprised that I was able to get the shot.
But only because there was cloud coverage which acted like ND filter!

Here is the full EXIF
Filename - DSC02311.JPG
ImageDescription -
Make - SONY
Model - ILCE-6000
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 350
YResolution - 350
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - ILCE-6000 v3.20
DateTime - 2017:08:21 14:51:34
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
ExifOffset - 364
ExposureTime - 1/4000 seconds
FNumber - 32.00
ExposureProgram - Aperture priority
ISOSpeedRatings - 100
ExifVersion - 0230
DateTimeOriginal - 2017:08:21 14:51:34
DateTimeDigitized - 2017:08:21 14:51:34
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
CompressedBitsPerPixel - 1 (bits/pixel)
BrightnessValue - 15.26
ExposureBiasValue - -5.00
MaxApertureValue - F 6.30
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
LightSource - Auto
Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 210.00 mm
UserComment -
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 6000
ExifImageHeight - 4000
InteroperabilityOffset - 38166
FileSource - DSC - Digital still camera
SceneType - A directly photographed image
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
DigitalZoomRatio - 1.00 x
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 315 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal

Maker Note (Vendor): -
Color Mode - Standard
Lens Type - -1

Thumbnail: -
Compression - 6 (JPG)
ImageDescription -
Make - SONY
Model - ILCE-6000
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - ILCE-6000 v3.20
DateTime - 2017:08:21 14:51:34
JpegIFOffset - 38458
JpegIFByteCount - 4706
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited

Last edited:
The 4-hour drive was well worth the couple minutes of 100% totality. What an experience!

My free viewing glasses were found on NASA's approved list.

It went right over my house. About 20 minutes before, a big cloud came up. We got in the van and drove past it, toward the center line. We found a good spot with five minutes to spare. I've seen a couple partial ones, but this was 1000 times better! The photos don't do it justice. I don't know anyone who saw totality who wasn't blown away. My young son had tears in his eyes.

The next one is just 100 miles away, and I'm definitely going to be there!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back