Silverado dies while idling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a well kept 2007 Silverado NBS 6.0 with 87K miles. 6 month OCI, injector cleaner every 3-4 months, heated garage. A week ago it died while idling in a fast food drive thur. The engine would turn over, but it would not start. No CEL. It had to be towed home where after sitting for an hour it restarted. There were no codes found using a Scangauge II. The next day, it ran great until returning home and I let it idle in the driveway, and after 3 minutes it died. No CEL, No codes. It had to sit for 4 hours until it would restart. I then took it to my mechanic where after 2 days of running and idling he found no problems or codes. I took the truck back for a week and I removed and cleaned the throttle body hoping that would help. It just died again today after pulling into a parking spot at the grocery store. No CEL. It restarted only when I held the gas peddle down while cranking. I got it home and again , no codes. Any ideas? I`m thinking crankshaft position sensor. Thanks

Originally Posted By: Arkandspark
Electric fuel pump going out?
Mechanic says it fine.

I'd start by changing the fuel filter and then looking at the fuel pump.

From there it's a matter of trouble shooting, things like the torque converter lock up solenoid and on to the rest of the fuel system after checking for leaks.

I've seen starting issues with an Idle Air Valve sticking.It takes full throttle opening to start.

Fuel filter and pump are a single unit inside of the fuel tank which has to be dropped to change.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I've seen starting issues with an Idle Air Valve sticking.It takes full throttle opening to start.
I`ll look into that

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Does it die slowly, or does it die quick like if somebody turned the key off ?
Slowly, and when AC kicks in.

Originally Posted By: LAGA
I have a well kept 2007 Silverado NBS 6.0 with 87K miles. 6 month OCI, injector cleaner every 3-4 months, heated garage. A week ago it died while idling in a fast food drive thur. The engine would turn over, but it would not start. No CEL. It had to be towed home where after sitting for an hour it restarted. There were no codes found using a Scangauge II. The next day, it ran great until returning home and I let it idle in the driveway, and after 3 minutes it died. No CEL, No codes. It had to sit for 4 hours until it would restart. I then took it to my mechanic where after 2 days of running and idling he found no problems or codes. I took the truck back for a week and I removed and cleaned the throttle body hoping that would help. It just died again today after pulling into a parking spot at the grocery store. No CEL. It restarted only when I held the gas peddle down while cranking. I got it home and again , no codes. Any ideas? I`m thinking crankshaft position sensor. Thanks

Maybe this thread may help-

http://www.silveradosierra.com/vortec-5-3l-v8/normal-idle-t600969.html

My daughters Nissan Sentra 2001, was doing that sort of thing. Cutting out at idle and when she would start up from a stop and when it shifted. We had replaced fuel pump and checked grounds and re grounded the ECU and replaced the TPS. Ended up being the Bosch single platinum spark plugs. Read about them not being good and causing problems. They looked perfect when I pulled them and replaced them with Autolite Platinums. No more issues at all.

Originally Posted By: CKN

After doing some reading, I believe if this was the case there would be a code thrown. Thanks

Originally Posted By: CKN

After doing some reading, I believe if this was the case there would be a code thrown. Thanks

True-but the truck doesn't always throw the code FYI.

Check your fuse box. Mine developed a short inside the fuse box itself. It would run great until it warmed up and then stall out. When testing out the wires for shorts I could shut the motor off by pushing down on the box, pulling up on it kept it running. Dealer only item is the bad news.

Fuel filter and pump are a single unit inside of the fuel tank which has to be dropped to change.

Boy if that isn't a GM better idea to keep you coming to their shop!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Boy if that isn't a GM better idea to keep you coming to their shop!

GM is not unique in this design. Just about all the major makes have been transitioning to this type of design for quite a few years now.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
This engine probably has an electric throttle body instead of an idle air control valve. I've been wrong before..
. This is the case. The MAF was cleaned when the TB was. Will check again for any leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back