Castrol GTX Magnatec 10W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think these are pretty good specs for a "synthetic blend". What is interesting, also, is that Castrol is pricing this at about $26 (5 qt.) on Amazon and at Walmart, which is on the high end for a "synthetic blend".

Last edited:
The Walmart here has it for $19.xx.
That Noack number is excellent! Thanks for sharing.

5W-30 was a blend up unitl early Spring of this year, and then it changed over to full synthetic. Not sure about 10W-30, but it could be full syn now because the retailers were still showing the old syn blend label for the 5W-30 long after it had changed over. My local Walmart will still have some of the old jugs of the 5W-30 syn blend on the shelves some times.

Those SOB's over in the UK get "Castrol Magnatech Stop-Start". Now I feel inadequate.
wink.gif

http://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-king...stop-start.html

GTX Magnatec 10W-30
CLINGING MOLECULES PROTECT FROM THE START

Description
Did you know testing confirms that up to 75% of engine wear occurs during the first 20 minutes of warm up?*
When your engine stops, oil drains off critical engine parts, but Castrol GTX MAGNATEC’s intelligent molecules don’t –
they form an extra layer of protection during warm up, when your engine needs it most, dramatically reducing engine
wear and keeping critical parts up to 4X smoother.*
* As tested in the industry Sequence IVA wear test.
Castrol GTX MAGNATEC also delivers:
Superior wear protection on critical engine parts
Unsurpassed level of protection against viscosity breakdown
Unique synthetic technology to fight against harmful sludge build-up
High level of fuel economy based on US industry standards

Typical Characteristics
Name Method Units Typical Values
Density @ 15C, Relative ASTM D4052 g/ml 0.87
Appearance Visual - Clear & Bright
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm²/s 11.6
Viscosity, CCS -25C ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 3702
Viscosity, HTHS 150C ASTM D4683 cP 3.18
Viscosity, MRV / Yield Stress -25C (15W) ASTM D4684 mPa.s (cP) 16266
Noack Volatility ASTM D5800 % Loss 6.95
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C ASTM D445 mm²/s 71.54
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 None 157
Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -39
Viscosity, Brookfield Scanning ASTM D5133 °C 17331

Thanks nice oil.
Dont know why my phone cannot download castrol pdfs or chevron pdfs even from their websites.
Valv qs pp m1 downloads are okay !

Given the great results of the old 5w30 I'm not sure a FS version of the 10w30 brew would be that much better. I don't buy CM. At $25.

New Jet.com customers can get it sometimes for $13 when you use the 15% coupon. I did last month.
You have to keep an eye on it.

Looks pretty good.
If the NOACK and CCS numbers are to be trusted, this stuff would be a really good pick.

Yes a great low Noack Volatility at 6.95 %

I also like how it is right at the thick end for a ILSAC SN & GF-5 oil with HTHS = 3.18 cP and KV100 = 11.6 cSt for the Magnatec.

I've seen other 10W30 oils with 3.0 cP and 10 cSt being more typical values.

This Magnatec should stay in grade nicely, for those concerned with shear or fuel dilution. There a lots of Magnatec UOA's here showing low iron wear and good shear stability.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back