Anything wrong with using CI-4 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that they have this CK-4 oil and I see the weak additive package it has, why not use a good old school ci-4 oil with high tbn and ZDDP numbers? Imo it's the same as the newer stuff, just a tried an true and cheaper method of anti wear additives. Of course the only issue is the the API donut won't be current since the license expired or whatever you call it.

Opinions?

If you can still find CI-4 then go for it... but CK-4 is not inherently bad because the additive makeup is different.

Originally Posted By: Garak
There's nothing wrong with it, but there's nothing wrong with a modern CK-4, either. We went through this whole schtick with the CJ-4 rollout, too.

Except that Ford did not have an issue with CJ-4 and my Pwerstrokes were new when CJ-4 came out and that oil was basically made for them while the CK-4 is made for the new diesels and not optimally designed for my older trucks.

That may be, but there still was a Kubota panic at CJ-4 rollout, not to mention the general panic. When the first Powerstrokes came out, CJ-4 was years away yet. What, specifically, in CK-4 is not optimal for your older trucks?

Even when the 7.3 Powerstroke came out, Ford found something to panic about with respect to contemporary HDEOs. Wakefield, Chevron, Petro-Canada, Mobil, Esso, and Shell all knew nothing about making an HDEO, to hear Ford tell it back then, too, unless it had a Motorcraft label on it. Whoever made that oil at the time apparently knew what they were doing, but forgot the procedure when working on other product lines.

Dodge up here is giving away a free Cummins upgrade to people buying a new Dodge 2500 or 3500. Ford is telling us that most off the shelf HDEOs are incompatible with a new Ford diesel truck, and even their old ones, perplexingly. That's a great way to compete with Dodge right now.

If you don't have a DPF you're good to go, I periodically check craigslist and score CI-4 or CJ-4 lately due to people selling their oil inventory after getting rid of their diesel trucks.

I know their is a gas station near me that sells ci4 oil. I forgot the name but it is a company from Lousians if I remember right.

Originally Posted By: Bighorn2500
If you don't have a DPF you're good to go, I periodically check craigslist and score CI-4 or CJ-4 lately due to people selling their oil inventory after getting rid of their diesel trucks.

what's the difference between ci-4 and ci-4 plus?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: Bighorn2500

what's the difference between ci-4 and ci-4 plus?

"The “CI-4 PLUS” designation identifies oils formulated to provide a higher level of protection against soot-related viscosity increase and viscosity loss due to shear in diesel engines. When originally introduced, CI-4 PLUS identified CI-4 oils meeting a higher level of performance. CJ-4 oils include all CI-4 PLUS performance requirements."

Probably due to when they introduced EGR on the diesels requiring the soot suspension/protection is my thoughts.

Garak or Dnewton may be able to elaborate further on this.

Last edited:
I use Mobil Delvac MX F2 acquired a Zoro. $22.00 a gallon and free shipping on 3 gallons. I order a full case of 4 each time. It's a CI-4+ oil that I use in my tractor. No DPF or EGR. Same rating as CAT DEO and about the same price but it's delivered to my house and I don't have to go pick it up. Haven't been able to find a virgin analysis of it but my tractor seems to like it.

Originally Posted By: Garak
That may be, but there still was a Kubota panic at CJ-4 rollout, not to mention the general panic. When the first Powerstrokes came out, CJ-4 was years away yet. What, specifically, in CK-4 is not optimal for your older trucks?

Even when the 7.3 Powerstroke came out, Ford found something to panic about with respect to contemporary HDEOs. Wakefield, Chevron, Petro-Canada, Mobil, Esso, and Shell all knew nothing about making an HDEO, to hear Ford tell it back then, too, unless it had a Motorcraft label on it. Whoever made that oil at the time apparently knew what they were doing, but forgot the procedure when working on other product lines.

Dodge up here is giving away a free Cummins upgrade to people buying a new Dodge 2500 or 3500. Ford is telling us that most off the shelf HDEOs are incompatible with a new Ford diesel truck, and even their old ones, perplexingly. That's a great way to compete with Dodge right now.

And Ford doesn't have an issue with all CK-4 oils. There are many on the current Ford approved list in both 10w30 and 15w40 varieties.

Yeah, the CI-4+ was in response to EGR, and CJ-4 in response to DPF's. Now CK-4 is also for protection of emissions treatment systems along with the current trend to down speeding heavy diesel engines and the increased heat internally from doing so. Supposedly better oxidation control.

No, they certainly don't have an issue with all CK-4 oils. But, when you look at the 5w-40 portion of the list, things are pretty sparse when it comes to big names. Delvac doesn't show up at all in any viscosity. That kind of thing isn't helpful at all.

CI-4+ also had enhanced soot control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back