someone else changed my oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colorado service today.

Am stuck with the lease and Holden's fixed price service...

I've personally drained every drop out of my own vehicles since 1985, and my families car before that...

It feels weird to trust people.

Quote:

BITOG membership compliance states you dont. Make sure you check the oil level and the filter,drain plug for snugness

Last edited:
Dealer might be better - but when folks comment that quick lubes never caused an engine failure - yeah me too - but when they ruin a complete rear end in a 1500 series pickup - that was not cheap and I wound up with an older unit ...

I'm in the same boat as you.

The guy who is changing the oil for me, is the same guy who worked three days to put the new engine in.

So I trust him. I'm going to let him change the oil in it for the first year, as he's also looking everything over while he's underneath it.

But it is odd. No one has changed my oil for me in decades.

Having someone else change your oil must be a horrible feeling. I feel bad for you.

I know how you feel mate, I had my Paj serviced last week, (30k service) they managed to cross thread a cover bolt.

Makes me worried if they bothered to pre-fill the oil filter, never mind carefully checking the valve clearances....... I supplied the oil (Shell R4X and saved $130 on dealer oil, which I think is Castrol Magnatec Pro?)

I will do my own changes again from the next service: I don't want the worry of extended "dry" no pressure starts on any vehicle I own..they can adjust more $ off the "pre-fixed" price again. Most dealers will let you do it, just ask.

For a BITOGer having someone else change your oil is probably akin to another guy handwashing your wife/girlfriends underwear...

Claud.

I don't know if I could do it.
wink.gif
If a vehicle has an idiotic oil change system (i.e. a filter that requires an octopus to get to and a bag of rags to clean up after), it's off my list of consideration at the outset.

Originally Posted By: Claud
For a BITOGer having someone else change your oil is probably akin to another guy handwashing your wife/girlfriends underwear...

Claud.

This made me think of a TX slowpitch state tournament I played in...I think our last game on Saturday finished at 11pm and we had an 8am start on Sunday. We were just a bit too far away to head home (Ft Worth to Dallas), only had one hotel room reserved for the whole team (nobody thought we would make it to Sunday!), and most of us didn't even bring a change of clothes. One of the guy's wives (really nice person and a gorgeous gal) stayed up all night washing our socks and jocks in the bathroom sink so we wouldn't be completely filthy on Sunday.
I had two thoughts about this at the time...
1. That lady was a SAINT, and
2. I don't know what her husband was thinking having her in a hotel room with 10 or so other guys, much less letting her handle all of our filthy underwear.

The sad part was that we won a few more games on Sunday and then lost to the same team that knocked us down to the loser's bracket in our first game on Saturday (double elimination by one team). The annoying part was some jackwagon pulled the fire alarm in our hotel before 5am and cost us a bit of much needed sleep...we just grabbed our stuff and left when we were finally allowed back in.

I feel your pain.
If you ever go to an oil extraction unit you will worry for two days that you don't remember if you put the drain plug back in.
Really. It works on your brain because if you have an easy to get to oil filter you're confused on how you did it so fast with such little effort and skipping steps makes your head spin for days
smile.gif

I have had some good experiences with these rapid oil change places. I usually visit the place prior to work done on a day they are not busy. I talk to their main guy that also has some certifications. Then i only have him work on the car. They let me go down in dungeon where they show me what they are doing.

i never have good feelings when i cant see what they are doing.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Trust ..... but verify. RR

At this point, what difference does it make?? HRC.
Yeah

Oil changes are important but they are treated as if it's something to be left to the low man on the totem pole. It's exactly the same with tire pressures. Messing up either one can become a real problem.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Colorado service today.

Am stuck with the lease and Holden's fixed price service...

I've personally drained every drop out of my own vehicles since 1985, and my families car before that...

Agreed. Last time I had someone else do it, which was quite awhile ago, I had minor anxiety about things like "did they use the oil and weight they promised to?", "is my oil pan bolt/oil filter tight enough?", and "did they touch anything else".

I couldn't handle it so I changed that particular oil out quickly.

I'm the same after I get new tires put on. As soon as I get home I check all the lugs to make sure they were tightened properly.

It's nice to know I'm not alone.

The worst thing ever was when I had to leave a 2006 Duramax overnight so the service manager could drive it home to see if a problem duplicated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

BITOG membership compliance states you dont. Make sure you check the oil level and the filter,drain plug for snugness

This is correct. I've lost so much faith in the human race that I look both ways before crossing a one way street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back