MC FL 820S Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Crown Vic has a bit of a start up rattle. Not nearly as bad as the first start after an oil change, but very noticeable. When I first got the car, it had a Valvoline filter. After the first change, I went with the 820 and the sound went away. Then it started with the 820 once I passed 8k on my OCI. I change my oil every 10k and each time the noise comes back earlier and earlier. Now it started at 2k. Could it be a filter? I haven't tried an Fram Ultra since I had a stash of 820s.

^^^ +1

It doesn't have to be a Fram Ultra, but if you have one handy, why not?

If you want you stay with base end bypass you could try a Mopar MO-899 but note it has a nitrile ADBV.

Last edited:
I will, but what are the chances of getting 4 "bad" filters in a row? Could it be something else?

Sure, anything's possible, but trying a different manufacturer's oil filter is an inexpensive way to rule out that component, right?

You indicate it goes away for at least 2K miles after an oil filter change, so what else other than oil is connected to your oil filter changes?

FWIW you can change the oil filter while the noise is present without changing the oil, you can just top off with the same oil to keep that variable constant with trying a new oil filter.

Some oil filters manufactured by Purolator have been exhibiting sharkbit silicone ADBV's here on BITOG.

Last edited:
It sounds like by your 8k oci the oil is done in that motor.

Not every oil can last that long and its certainly past the recommended limit for older crown vics. Try another oil or test a sample. Shorter intervals.

Never had an issue like that with my Mustang (4.6 3v) using nothing but 820s filters. However, my OCIs were usually closer to 3k miles. That has been mostly from my "spirited" driving habits and length of time it takes to get me to those miles.

I will say... I just switched to a Fram Ultra XG2 after all the praises they receive on this site. Did my usual Mobil 1 5w20, and this filter. The thing I noticed is that on a "cold" start (over 70f) the engine RPM sits at a higher state than before. Good/Bad? I have no idea just something I noted. Once it finally does fully warm up I guess it settles back to normal rpm at idle.

I have used the 820s for years in our 03 Ranger, and never had a startup noise of any kind. 5k OCI with Formula Shell 5w-30.

As others have stated, you're running it and the oil too long.

Nothing but 820 here.

No sounds filter related atleast what i can tell.

You could change to another new 820 filter to see if noise goes away since u have a stash of these filters. Add .25 quarts to .5 quarts of oil as needed. The first start might be noisy but after that
If u still have noise change the oil to see if that makes it go away.
If u still have noise try heavier oil like 10w30 or blend of 5w20 and 10w30 if heavier oil is not your cup of tea.
Is the noise present on cold start after the car has been sitting around or even on hot start ?

I've used the FL820S on all of my (and relatives) cars for the past 14 years. 2 Grand Marquis', 2 Marauders, and a Mustang. Never heard a start-up rattle other than the one immediately after an oil change.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I just switched to a Fram Ultra XG2 after all the praises they receive on this site. Did my usual Mobil 1 5w20, and this filter. The thing I noticed is that on a "cold" start (over 70f) the engine RPM sits at a higher state than before. Good/Bad? I have no idea just something I noted. Once it finally does fully warm up I guess it settles back to normal rpm at idle.

Idle speed not dependant on what oil or filter is used. Mostly dependant on engine/coolant and ambient temperatures.

I just serviced my wifes freestyle and 3 weeks later i was out when she left for work and heard a rattle so I am changing out her fl820
other wise I will go to a bosch

I used the FL820s and other similar quality filters on my 4.6L for several years and don't recall hearing anything odd. I switched to the XG2 the past few OCI's because I like the idea of going 2 OCI's on one filter (3K-4K per OCI). No issues with the XG2.

Originally Posted By: DdDd
It sounds like by your 8k oci the oil is done in that motor.

Not every oil can last that long and its certainly past the recommended limit for older crown vics. Try another oil or test a sample. Shorter intervals.

But, the interval keeps getting shorter. Now it's at 2k and making noise. Something is changing.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Nothing but 820 here.

You could change to another new 820 filter to see if noise goes away since u have a stash of these filters. Add .25 quarts to .5 quarts of oil as needed. The first start might be noisy but after that
If u still have noise try heavier oil like 10w30 or blend of 5w20 and 10w30 if heavier oil is not your cup of tea.
Is the noise present on cold start after the car has been sitting around or even on hot start ?

I've been through several 820s and so far all have made noise, sooner in the OCI than the last. The noise is only present after the the car has been sitting 12+ hours.

Originally Posted By: PumpPusher
Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Nothing but 820 here.

I've been through several 820s and so far all have made noise, sooner in the OCI than the last. The noise is only present after the the car has been sitting 12+ hours.

Does not sound like the 820s is the issue. Sounds like your oil might be thinning out by 2k and draining to the pan overnite. It will drain out of the timing chain tensioner too if the gasket for that has a tiny leak.
I wud try 10w30 if warranty allows it and u r in summer time sorta. Some peoplen can smell the dipstick for fuel. I have not tried this particular test though !

Why dont u leave the filter in place and just drain the oil. With all the rebates it will be 15 bucks or so. Cheap diagnosis car will be happy and your mind will be get a break from troubleshooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back