Motul 8100 X-cess 5W40, 9,734mi, '12 MB C250 1.8T

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a UOA from a 2012 Mercedes-Benz C250 with a 1.8L turbocharged M271 engine running Motul 8100 Xcess 5W40. Vehicle is driven daily with a 50/50 mix of city/hwy driving in southeast climate. Conservative driving style with infrequent spirited driving. Engine was refilled with same oil.

D54cYFT.jpg

You should edit the image of your Blackstone Reports before posting online; there is no good reason to expose eMail and street addresses, etc. to the web, which, of course, will be viewable forever. Your post has been already recorded by Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
You should edit the image of your Blackstone Reports before posting online; there is no good reason to expose eMail and street addresses, etc. to the web, which, of course, will be viewable forever. Your post has been already recorded by Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.

Nah free business advertising for him.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

The same information is already on Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. See?

It's in the tubes, man...

Hmm, wonder if Motul is paying for the Blackstone analysis in order to market their products. Why would an independent shop submit UOA for customers at their expense. I also live in Chattanooga, have to look them up.

Originally Posted By: Spector
Hmm, wonder if Motul is paying for the Blackstone analysis in order to market their products. Why would an independent shop submit UOA for customers at their expense. I also live in Chattanooga, have to look them up.

I believe it is a service he offers his customers. Motul is the shop oil, but you'll see UOAs of Mobil, T6, Castrol, etc. from time to time.

Originally Posted By: Spector

Hey there, Spector! Like rooflessvw mentioned Motul is our official shop oil, but when it comes to the oilanalysis I try to stay unbiased. Sometimes an oil analysis is something the customer requests, others I tell them I'll cover the cost just out of curiosity (interesting driving/operating conditions with vehicle).

I feel obligated to know as much as possible about the oil i'm putting in my customers vehicles. If a certain oil doesn't jive well with an application, i'd be the first to recommended a completely different oil manufacturer if it fit the bill more appropriately. To a fellow Chattanoogan, feel free to stop by and have a chat.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I believe it is a service he offers his customers. Motul is the shop oil, but you'll see UOAs of Mobil, T6, Castrol, etc. from time to time.

Right on. If I can get a good sample where the conditions are fully known, even if it's a product we don't carry, I'll send it off for analysis for just out of curiosity. I think a bit of OCD might be at play!
smile.gif

German, based on what you've seen... Would you recommend the Motul 8100 Xcess 5W40 for the 2.0 TSI in a GTI? I recently did my first change with Castrol OE pro 5w40 (supposedly factory fill?) but I've since read some things stating its far from ideal.

Thanks,

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
German, based on what you've seen... Would you recommend the Motul 8100 Xcess 5W40 for the 2.0 TSI in a GTI? I recently did my first change with Castrol OE pro 5w40 (supposedly factory fill?) but I've since read some things stating its far from ideal.

Thanks,

Most definitely. The X-cess 5W40 has NOACK of ~9.9% while the OE Pro is closer to 13%. VWs 502/505 spec requires at most a NOACK of 13%, so the OE Pro meets it, but definitely not optimal. As you stated it's satisfactory, but not optimal. I do know that i've had quite a few Xcess UOAs hit 12-17K with excellent results.

Originally Posted By: GermanAutohaus

Most definitely. The X-cess 5W40 has NOACK of ~9.9% while the OE Pro is closer to 13%. VWs 502/505 spec requires at most a NOACK of 13%, so the OE Pro meets it, but definitely not optimal. As you stated it's satisfactory, but not optimal. I do know that i've had quite a few Xcess UOAs hit 12-17K with excellent results.

Thanks!

On another thread running now - the Motul did nothing special - back to the discussion of "extremes" being the reason for the more expensive lubes ...

German, your thoughts on X-CESS 5W-40 versus X-MAX 0W-40? Do you find one has better UOAs, in general, over the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back