Motul 8100 X-cess 5W40, 11,757mi, '13 Audi A6 3.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
This UOA is for a 2013 Audi A6 3.0T Supercharged running Motul 8100 Xcess 5W40. 11,757mi mile run. Vehicle is driven daily with a 25/75 mix of city/hwy driving. First UOA was with Rotella T6 5W40 (old CJ-4). Second and most recent was with 8100 Xcess 5W40. Immediately after the recent UOA it was discovered that the customer had a failed PCV causing excessive oil consumption and fuel trimming. The PCV was replaced along with performing an intake port carbon cleaning with a walnut blaster.

mtVhaZg.jpg

This engine seemed to shed less iron on the T6. Any reason for no longer using the T6? Wear metals seem high for 4 quarts of makeup oil.

Thanks for posting these reports I always enjoy seeing them!

Non-spec Rotella T6 5W40 CJ4 performs 'better and superior' than an in-spec VW Motul Xcess 5W40 ?
Isn't that interesting ?

Moly/Zinc/Phos/Mileage are higher with Rotella and iron ppm is lower. Illuminati confirmed... or just natural variation of UOA/driving style/weather/etc? Hard to say but I'd be running Rotella again for more comparisons and savings over that pricey Motul!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KL31
Moly/Zinc/Phos/Mileage are higher with Rotella and iron ppm is lower. Illuminati confirmed... or just natural variation of UOA/driving style/weather/etc? Hard to say but I'd be running Rotella again for more comparisons and savings over that pricey Motul!

We sell manufacturer-approved 8100 Xcess 5W40 at only ~$1 more a liter than the Rotella. If T6 carried VW, BMW, Merc (ect) approvals, we'd be using it again in a heart beat. T6's CK-4 update from CJ-4 also throws another curve ball.

Originally Posted By: GermanAutohaus
We sell manufacturer-approved 8100 Xcess 5W40 at only ~$1 more a liter than the Rotella. If T6 carried VW, BMW, Merc (ect) approvals, we'd be using it again in a heart beat. T6's CK-4 update from CJ-4 also throws another curve ball.

Any experience with the new CK-4 version?

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Any experience with the new CK-4 version?

Not yet. The UOAs I got back show a decrease in zinc and phos and a total lack of moly. Boron and viscosity went up a tad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back