Mobil 1 0W40 Euro, 4,500mi, 2001 Porsche 996 3.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a newer UOA from a customers 2001 Porsche 996 (911) C2 with a 3.4L M96 engine. The vehicle is new to the customer and the oil was said to be Mobil 1 0W40 Euro. Engine was refilled with Motul 8100 X-cess 5W40. No further information about driving style or routine was known.

KzUiCe6.jpg

Originally Posted By: GermanAutohaus
This is a newer UOA from a customers 2001 Porsche 996 (911) C2 with a 3.4L M96 engine. The vehicle is new to the customer and the oil was said to be Mobil 1 0W40 Euro. Engine was refilled with Motul 8100 X-cess 5W40. No further information about driving style or routine was known.

Would an oil analysis report alert you to an impending IMS failure in a 996? This model year falls into the range for known IMS failures.

Originally Posted By: jhs914
Would an oil analysis report alert you to an impending IMS failure in a 996? This model year falls into the range for known IMS failures.

I have yet to see first-hand any evidence of a failing IMS showing up in a UOA, but I haven't ruled it out. However, I have noticed an audible difference in the IMS from engine to engine. Using a stethoscope and probing around the base of the lower/forward case bolt with the engine running yields discernible differences. One in particular that made no noticeable sounds while standing outside the vehicle had a nasty, irregular, rhythmic pattern to it when probed with a stethoscope. Our suspicions materialized when we removed the IMS during a clutch install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back