6.7 Powerstroke oil pan leak advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I will be taking my truck into a Ford Truck service center tomorrow for warranty work. My metal oil pan is leaking around the seal and looks like it needs to be taken down, cleaned, and put back on with motorcraft sealant. My dilemma is, the service center said they will drain oil and put back in. My OCD is telling me to just give them new oil for oil change. Am I being ridiculous in worrying the oil might get contaminated in their pail before going back in? Current oil is Delvac 5w-40 with like 3,000+ miles on oil...scheduled to be changed February of 2018. Appreciate the advice.

I would just give them new oil and skip the regrets of possible contamination. Who knows who would be the one doing the dump and fill. I have a car that a dealers lot monkey did the oil change and idiot forgot to put the oil in before driving it out to the lot:( Twin turbo system engine is lot of time and $$$$ to rebuild

Last edited:
Thanks. Will push for them to replace with Motorcraft 5w40...thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Why would they re-use oil under warranty? Ford pays for any chemicals needed to complete a repair, oil included.
Agreed. Ford changed the oil on my Explorer when the front main seal leaked and had to be replaced. I wanted to catch a sample because it was Mobil 1 on an extended run and I wanted to see how the oil was doing but missed that opportunity. Ford should always replace the oil anytime a pan or similar is removed from the engine.

Will ford replace my 5w40 or will they fill with 10w30. I want to keep running 5w40...not sure how that works. Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Will ford replace my 5w40 or will they fill with 10w30. I want to keep running 5w40...not sure how that works. Thanks.

They will replace with whatever the vehicle calls for. Normal factory fill is 10W30 but I bet if they used the 5W40 and showed attached a receipt to the repair order Ford would cover it.

Thanks Bdcardinal. I will try for 5w40, but since they call for 10w30...I might be stuck. I will let you all know what happens.

Thanks Bdcardinal. I will try for 5w40, but since they call for 10w30...I might be stuck. I will let you all know what happens.
Make sure you convey that you operate the vehicle under severe service conditions. With that said, surely Ford will follow their own recommendations and fill it with 5W-40 (well, maybe they won't and don't call me Shirley)--sorry could not resist.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Make sure you convey that you operate the vehicle under severe service conditions. With that said, surely Ford will follow their own recommendations and fill it with 5W-40 (well, maybe they won't and don't call me Shirley)--sorry could not resist.

Just don't have the fish.

Ha. I will surely convey that to them. 35 ft motorhome with lots of towing...shouldn't be hard to justify severe usage. Appreciate the help.

Dealer put dye in the oil and I drive it for 20 miles. Turns out the upper oil pan is leaking. Have a great night.

Make sure they change the filter.

My mom's Jeep had the oil pan and timing chain cover gasket replaced last year under warranty and they changed the oil but left the old filter on.

Ok...I will check on that...amazing you have to ask a question like that. Thanks for the advice...I am a little uneasy about it already. Assumed they would change filter...bit will make sure for sure. Appreciate it.

Ok...I will check on that...amazing you have to ask a question like that. Thanks for the advice...I am a little uneasy about it already. Assumed they would change filter...bit will make sure for sure. Appreciate it.

They should. You have "introduced contaminants to the engine" so they would want a new filter on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back