new to me bike...oil-filter recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
found a nice ultralow mileage 2014 Yamaha V Star 250...@ 25 miles with remainder of 4-year Yamaha extended warranty (@ 2 years left); gonna treat current oil-filter as factory fill (mechanic at dealer can't remember if he changed it or if it was serviced by outside shop dealer used to contract with); my plan is to run that fill until 100-150 miles then change out (somebody's conventional 10w-40 or 15w-40 & fram ch6004 filter); run that stuff until 500 miles; change oil & run until 1000 miles; new oil & filter as well as valve adjustment per maintenance schedule;

buying closeout fram ch6004 filters at area advanced auto parts stores (india & china manufacture) for $3.25 each...any quams with running these filters 3k-4k miles with oil changed at 1.5k-2k intervals? affordable good oil recommendations for the long run?

Last edited:
If it doesn't share trans and engine sump, U may want to break it in with 4 stroke marine 20W40 or similar 40 grade Mixed fleet HD oil.

Rotella 15W40 is generally one of the most recommended oils for metric bikes. Shell self certifies it as meeting requirements of JASO MA, something your bike likely requires. None of the other "diesel" oils list JASO MA on the label, so stick with Rotella.

Yamalube shifted horrendously in my Yamaha 250 motorcycle, FYI. I wont run Yamalube in it again.

I currently have Valvoline Motorcycle 10W40 in my Yamaha. It shifts great and seems to be a good oil. Easily available at $3.98/quart at Wal-Mart.

My Suzuki boulevard basically requires an HD oil, so it will only see Rotella. It shifts nice in that bike and is doing a good job.

When the oil in my Yamaha is done, I will swap it out for Rotella, so I only have to stock one oil for both motorcycles. The stuff is a bargain, by the gallon, at Wal-Mart.

As for filters, I would run a Wix. The last several Wix motorcycle filters I have bought INLCUDED the rubber o-rings at no extra charge. Almost all the other oil filters dont come with the O-rings. The picture on their website for your application shows it with the O-rings, so that's the filter I would choose, out of convenience. Realistically, you dont have to change the O-rings every time, but including them for free is a nice touch. At the dealer, those two o-rings will likely set you back $7 to $10.

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Applications.aspx?Section=6

As to oil change intervals, call me crazy, but these shared sump bikes sheer the heck out of the oil. Oil is cheap... I'm not running it for 4K miles. I'd be more inclined to change it at least every 2K miles.

I understand your OCI is short due to break-in period.
After that allow shifting performance to dictate your OCI which can be significantly different based on oil choice.

I would not use Fram filters. I would find an online source for genuine OEM or WIX.

I prefer M1 15w50 over Rotella.

Congrats on a great find!

the fram ch6004's come with o-rings in each box; I am looking over local sources of hiflo filtro hf145's & still gotta call the nearest Yamaha dealer for pricing on oem filters; still not sure which oil for long term but I'll probably snag some valvoline conventional 10w-40 mc oil from walmart for the first few oil changes...

quick update...had to use some stuff I already had due to financial crunch (illness & missed work); 1 qt of Lubrimatic 15w-40 hdeo & 1 qt of Shell 10w-40 pcmo mixed...put in @ 1.5L - 1.6L with one of the Fram CH6004 filters at 191 miles; already have @ 140 miles on this oci...gonna run it to 600 miles, repeat the mix (remainder of Lubrimatic oil & another qt of Shell) and change oil-filter at 1000 miles; after that OEM filters & somebody's mc oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back