High Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is high humidity a reason to move from "normal maintenance to severe" in my Schedule manual? I could see this if the engine were short tripped or infrequently used in addition to hi- humidity. I'm thinking this is overkill. I live in SW FL and I get good UOAs using the normal service and the humidity is very high. Ed

Last edited:
If your UOAs aren't showing a problem, then you are probably fine continuing as is.

High humidity is regarded as "severe" because it draws moisture into the engine and can cause hydrolysis and accelerate degradation. If the engine is used infrequently or only for short trips (I know you indicated yours is not) the moisture will collect over time and cause problems if the oil isn't changed frequently.

It also affects other components, especially brakes.

I would pay strict attention to brake fluid flushing intervals.

Is the old "salt air" thing you hear in hearsay about the coastal areas really just a reference to the naturally high humidity from being close to the sea?

I'm talking about you used to hear things about vehicles from Florida or South Carolina or whereever like "Oh you want to avoid them, been exposed to the salt air down there, eats up the paint and hidden rust!!!" Shizzle like that. Same with airplanes, "Better make sure it's been regularly treated with Corrosion-X, the salt air down there and all !!..."

I've always dismissed the term salt air as something rather moronic to say.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Is the old "salt air" thing you hear in hearsay about the coastal areas really just a reference to the naturally high humidity from being close to the sea?

I'm talking about you used to hear things about vehicles from Florida or South Carolina or whereever like "Oh you want to avoid them, been exposed to the salt air down there, eats up the paint and hidden rust!!!" Shizzle like that. Same with airplanes, "Better make sure it's been regularly treated with Corrosion-X, the salt air down there and all !!..."

I've always dismissed the term salt air as something rather moronic to say.

Oh you silly midwesterners and your lack of oceans.
lol.gif

"Salt air" is a real thing near the coast.

http://www.arl.noaa.gov/faq_ac18.php

I agree. For example, we live within a mile of the Florida coast. When we visit for the season we see salt crystals growing on the chandelier. Plumbing fixtures corrode and silvering from mirrors is affected. Tools stored outside corrode badly. Light bulb sockets become intermittent and need their contacts polished. We were heavily assessed to repair the rebar that corroded within the concrete of our 30 year old building. These are only a few examples.

Here's more:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4476482/Re:_Car_moving_to_Florida#Post4476482

I live 3 miles from the beach and our cars last forever and look new on top and underneath and they never see the inside of a garage. That salt air is a farce. Maybe if you live on the beach or right at the Ocean. I bought some beach rental Polaris ATVs and the frames were Gone but of course I am sure they were actually in the salt water more than likely.

Brass door hardware darkens faster....you get odd salt accumulations on screens...And if you are from a big country the effect is differentiated between distant shores.
East and west coasts in the US and Canada, of course but even going north to south China and Brazi you'll get "Other Coast Salt Shock". You can't consider buying a car from one coast and bring it to another.

I was hoping this would be a rant thread about high humidity so that I would be able to pile on

I park 20' from the edge of Sarasota Bay in a 1st floor parking facility.

My windows have a layer of salt by the morning after I wash it.

Any boat owner down here will describe the damage from the salt air.

I never go more than 1-mile inland so I don't know where the salt air stops.

The only way there is any signicant issue is if and only if you get salt SPRAY on your vehicle. Even with that, its likely gets only on the exterior, so a quick rinse with a garden hose solves it.

Now if you drive literally IN the surf, which I do, a pressure washing of the wheel wells and undercarriage is needed. Like Panzer said, the "salt air" theory of damamging cars is overblown. My cars do die after 20-30 years, but its NOT due to rust. I have lived on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico my entire life, and I play at the beach every summer, so I would know.

i Am approximately 5 miles from salt water and never have noticed any salt buildup on anything on my vehicle or home. I consider it a none issue at this distance. Ed

Now living in Pennsylvania for 30+ years I can tell you cars and trucks rust out quick with the winter salt/ chemical mix they put down and you can't wash it off because it's freezing so it just devours your car.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Why is high humidity a reason to move from "normal maintenance to severe" in my Schedule manual? I could see this if the engine were short tripped or infrequently used in addition to hi- humidity. I'm thinking this is overkill. I live in SW FL and I get good UOAs using the normal service and the humidity is very high. Ed
I'd recommend flushing your brake fluid once/yr.

Heat dissipates MUCH SLOWER in a humid climate vs. dry. You have a high latent heat load to deal with.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I live 3 miles from the beach and our cars last forever and look new on top and underneath and they never see the inside of a garage. That salt air is a farce. Maybe if you live on the beach or right at the Ocean. I bought some beach rental Polaris ATVs and the frames were Gone but of course I am sure they were actually in the salt water more than likely.

Three and five miles is too far for salt air to travel before it is infinitely diluted. I took the question as regarding areas directly adjacent to the shore. There is no doubt that salt concentrations in the air are existent near the water.

The humid air is drawn into the crankcase and intake manifold. Then the water is blowby into the oil. I always had twice as much to drain in a catch can with humid driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back