Oil Recommendation 2017 Mazda CX-9 2.5T Skyactiv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Would like some opinions what oil to use. Manual is brief and only states Mazda or Castrol 5w30 with API or ILSAC certification. Would like to stick with 5w30 to meet warranty requirements.

In my 2013 Optima 2.0T I have been using 4qts of M1 5w40 TDT and .75qts of standard M1 5w30. Submitted several UOA's with very good results. Kia allows 5w40 or 5w30 with SM certification.

Unless you are really partial to a particular brand of oil and/or filter, I would suggest using Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 and a Mazda OEM or Napa Gold filter, and following Mazda's OCI recommendations while under warranty. If you ever end up extending the OCI, you may consider a Fram Ultra filter for an extra margin of safety, but make sure you understand the filter needs prior to switching from an OEM because I understand the Skyactive engines require a very specific type of filter.

I was in the dealer getting the airbag recall taken care of for our 2010 Mazda 6 a couple weeks ago and took a look at all the new Mazdas. The new Cx-9 is sharp. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Been using M1 in my 2.0 skyactiv since new at 100k spotless and never use a drop to hard to beat the price at WM.

Originally Posted By: Ddubya
Unless you are really partial to a particular brand of oil and/or filter, I would suggest using Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 and a Mazda OEM or Napa Gold filter, and following Mazda's OCI recommendations while under warranty. If you ever end up extending the OCI, you may consider a Fram Ultra filter for an extra margin of safety, but make sure you understand the filter needs prior to switching from an OEM because I understand the Skyactive engines require a very specific type of filter.

I was in the dealer getting the airbag recall taken care of for our 2010 Mazda 6 a couple weeks ago and took a look at all the new Mazdas. The new Cx-9 is sharp. Enjoy.

Most likely will stick with OEM filter. Unfortunately the Made in Japan Skyactiv filter has been pretty much discontinued in the US. Isn't the Magnetec just relabeled synthetic blend? I'll most likely use Edge if I'm going with the Castrol line.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Been using M1 in my 2.0 skyactiv since new at 100k spotless and never use a drop to hard to beat the price at WM.

From reading about M1 when choosing an oil for my Optima 2.0T, I seem to have remembered standard M1 5w30 shears down to almost 5w20 pretty quickly. Probably not a good oil for DI and turbo?

Originally Posted By: DTAM

Most likely will stick with OEM filter. Unfortunately the Made in Japan Skyactiv filter has been pretty much discontinued in the US. Isn't the Magnetec just relabeled synthetic blend? I'll most likely use Edge if I'm going with the Castrol line.

5w30 Mag is now a FS........ That said at the price it is now ( $25) it isn't a deal. When it is $17 a jug it is!

All grades of Magnatec are full syn now and have been showing some really nice UOA results. You'd be fine with Edge too, or M1, or Pennzoil Platinum, etc.,.........

Get what's on sale best price on Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 extended filter I know of is Walmart.
Mobil 1 5w-30 $22.88 and the filter everyday price at my store is $9.97. Oh and if you buy
both Mobil currently has a $17 rebate!

Love that car. They did a fantastic job with the styling. I would use a 5W-30 that is catered towards hot-turbo applications. Mobil 1 EP and PUP come to mind.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Love that car. They did a fantastic job with the styling. I would use a 5W-30 that is catered towards hot-turbo applications. Mobil 1 EP and PUP come to mind.

Mobile 1 EP 5w30 not too favored in the Subaru forums from the UOA on the STI 2.5. I guess difference is the CX-9 won't be tracked like a STI. I guess that leaves PUP and Castrol for options since availability would be easy walking into a WM.

It's interesting that Mazda calls for 5w30 in the 2.5 and 0w20 in their other Skyactive engines.

There's 2 different 2.5 Skyactiv now. One is boosted, the other is NA.

5w30 for 2.5T Skyactiv
0w20 for 2.5NA Skyactiv

Last edited:
There's 2 different 2.5 Skyactiv now. One is boosted, the other is NA.

5w30 for 2.5T Skyactiv
0w20 for 2.5NA Skyactiv

Oh, I didn't notice the 'T'....my mistake...thanks.

Hello,Would like some opinions what oil to use. Manual is brief and only states Mazda or Castrol 5w30 with API or ILSAC certification. Would like to stick with 5w30 to meet warranty requirements.

Mazda mentions Castrol in their manual? Didn't know that. Always thought Mazda just pushed their own-branded oil, which might be Idemitsu or something. Guess Castrol might have passed Mazda some $$money$$ for that endorsement, good business deal, but we here should laugh at that. Any dexos1 5w30 full-syn is what I'd use. Fram Ultra filter has better media than any Mazda OEM filter too.

Castrol pays Mazda to push their oil so it's not a mandatory use in warranty or else deal.

How about Pennzoil Euro Platinum 5w-30? Would this not be a good choice for the OP in his turbo GDI SkyActiv?

Congrats on the new Mazda. I am seriously looking at the CX-5.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
How about Pennzoil Euro Platinum 5w-30? Would this not be a good choice for the OP in his turbo GDI SkyActiv?

Technically no. Not that oil.
1. Its an SL oil, too old of a spec for a 2017 model.
2. Its HTHS is way to high, somewhere around 3.5, where this Mazda has HTHS=3.0 recommended.
3. Thick oil like that hurts power and MPG.

Yes, he could run this Euro oil, and its good stuff, yet the specs don't line up to support warranty claims. Mazda wants SN GF-5 oils only.

Any model of Mazda these days is at or near the top of the ratings list in their class. Great company to buy cars from.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

2. Its HTHS is way to high, somewhere around 3.5, where this Mazda has HTHS=3.0 recommended.

Yes, he could run this Euro oil, and its good stuff, yet the specs don't line up to support warranty claims. Mazda wants SN GF-5 oils only.

Any model of Mazda these days is at or near the top of the ratings list in their class. Great company to buy cars from.

Ahh ok. I might be thinking of something else. According to Pennzoils website, it's SN now but ACEA C3. I was thinking it was A3-B4. I may have it confused. Would a A3-B4 work better for turbo GDI vs a standard American synthetic?

Mazda is at the top of their game right now. Sales numbers are showing that as well. Along with tying up with Toyota, they now have access to some money so hopefully they will thrive. Getting away from Ford was the best thing for them.

Might be Castrol Edge black bottle A3-B4 that I was thinking of. Not sure why my brain thought Pennzoil. Old age here.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Ahh ok. I might be thinking of something else. According to Pennzoils website, it's SN now but ACEA C3. I was thinking it was A3-B4. I may have it confused. Would a A3-B4 work better for turbo GDI vs a standard American synthetic?

Mazda is at the top of their game right now. Sales numbers are showing that as well. Along with tying up with Toyota, they now have access to some money so hopefully they will thrive. Getting away from Ford was the best thing for them.

I think you could go with a a3/b4 and it wouldn't hurt anything but for a short oci I don't think you would see a benefit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back