Michelin LTX M/S2 - dry rot severity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Got these tires in Dec 2012 and put 80k km on them so far on a 2001 RX300 with 240k km.
I started noticing what looks to be dry rot.

I am thinking of keeping it for another year or so before either car is gone or we replace tires again.

or I should try and claim warranty now? They don't make M/S2 nor the new defender one in this tire size.
Only the Premier one is available, which I don't prefer based on the tread pattern as it may not be as good in winter time.

Opinion?

They don't look that bad for Michelins. Nobody will warranty that out. I'd replace them in a year or so.

That dry rot comes at no extra charge for those expensive tires......

Those are identical to my 06' Lexus GX-470's, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires. Changed in 2013 with 40k miles and both tread and sidewall's are dry rotted. This is my first set of Michelin's that have done this. I'll be replacing them next month.

Originally Posted By: typ901
Those are identical to my 06' Lexus GX-470's, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires. Changed in 2013 with 40k miles and both tread and sidewall's are dry rotted. This is my first set of Michelin's that have done this. I'll be replacing them next month.

I actually have MXV4 on another car and now worried to see this happen to those too.
There was a recall on LTX M/S2, but only specific sizes.

Michelin is voluntarily recalling certain sizes of its MICHELIN® LTX® M/S 2, MICHELIN® X® Radial LT2 and MICHELIN® LatitudeTM Tour tires. These tires are typically found on light trucks and SUVs.

The tires were produced between September 2012 and early June 2013.
Sizes are as follows:
MICHELIN® LTXTM M/S 2: P275/55R20 111T RBL, P265/65R18 112T and P265/60R18 109T ORWL
MICHELIN® XTM Radial LT2: P265/65R18 112T and P275/55R20 111T
MICHELIN® LatitudeTM Tour: P255/60R19 108S and P255/70R18 112T
Michelin is recalling approximately 100,000 tires in order to retrieve an estimated 2,500 tires (about 2.5% of the recalled population).
Affected tires could have partial or full sidewall perforations that could cause them to experience loss of air pressure.

Looks about right for a 5yr old Michelin. I've seen more of them showing early signs of dry rot than any other brand in my admittedly limited experience.

Seems pretty typical for Michelins.

Keep in mind that the outer tread of a tire is not there to hold air, but to provide traction. You are not at risk for a blowout based on the outer tread appearance alone.

So what's the problem? you have nearly 5 years and 50,000 miles on them. It sounds like you had good service from them, and will likely replace them in the not too distant future. At that time and mileage, I've seen similar deterioration from all brands of tires.

My Michelin Primacy MXV4 are 3 yrs old with 25K miles and started showing lower side wall cracking last year. Probably 5-6 yrs total is all I can expect. The MXV4 set prior to this were factory originals and went 52K miles/13 years. Those tires were extensively cracked, though I really never noticed it until the tread was fully worn out. I don't even keep the car out in the sun - usually sits in the shade where ever I park it.

Originally Posted By: CKN
That dry rot comes at no extra charge for those expensive tires......

Exactly, that is actually "siping" designed into the tire as the tread depth is worn away.

Seriously, it is just some weather checking (considered superficial) and not a warranty issue.

The new Defenders appear to be a decent tire and have a different compound in the material.

Drive Em
smile.gif

Minor weather checking. not even close to serious "dry rot" yet.
also not warranty-able currently. and IIRC the warranty is 6 years on Michelin.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
LOL, probably still get $200 on craigslist

Yep...just advertise them as "used one season--like new" and they will be some of the deepest tread "one season" tires on there.
grin.gif

mine looked like that at 60K and I put another 20K on them before they were close to the wear bars.

The cracking didn't get much worse except in the treads and I think that was only because I could see them.

I use meguiars "hot shine" as a dressing. Some say only use michilens tire dressing but it is hard to find.

Any any rate I got about 8 years and 80K miles out of them so I'm satisfied. This is on a Tacoma in Houston, mostly highway but with some rough potholed back roads everyday to work..

Find the worst crack on each tire - take a picture once a month for comparison - drive on ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back