Chinese made Peugeot Scooter, aircooled, oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Lets start with the information that I never had an aircooled vehicle before, only my hand and push mower are aircooled which do fine on 15W-40 Petro Canada Duron Xl HDEO.

My sister just bought her first scooter - guess she's more interested in 2 wheeled vehicles than cars - a Peugeot Django 125. Nice looking alternative to the Vespa, even tough I would have bought her a Vespa Sprint, but she's already settled on the Peugeot.

The engine is either made by Qiang Jang or is kind of close to the Sym Fiddle III 125. Fuel injected and Euro 4 compliant, so I would guess its rather lean and therefore hot running.

The manual calls for fully synthetic 5W40 - and that's the point I'm unsure about. I guess that engine will run hot - and I'm not too sure if I would use a 5W40 in it or not?

I thought aircooled engines need a thicker viscosity?
What would you run in that engine?

It's aircooled, hidden behind a lot of plastic fairings, with air holes tough and has a small ventilator on the side of the engine.
No oilfilter.

Money is absoluetly no issue here, it's my sisters first scooter, she loves it and it has an oil capacity of less than a quart. So I dont really care about the cost of the oil - so Amsoil, Maxima or Motul are floating in my head right now.

Thanks,

Alex

Last edited:
15w40 is a great oil for aircooled engines. If its easy to change just stick with something that is easily available and change it often.

I would run 5W-40 in that engine. If you don't mind spending the extra money, a scooter specific 5W-40 should have some extra protection from heat if it is formulated for air-cooled scooters.

a good portion of air cooled scoots use 5w-40 (vespa, piaggio, aprilia); don't know your brand availability in your region; in US the 5w-40 falls into 3 application groups...hdeo, european pcmo, and powersports; hdeo & european pcmo are easier to obtain (as in more places carry them vs powersports oils); I feel that european pcmo leans toward scoots (european based brands) since they use the same ratings for oil classifications & emissions control; I feel that hdeo are better price point oils (great protection & cleaning for the price) & would use that if my scoot called for 5w-40

European 5w40 pcmos are not leaning towards scooter specs...

Pcmos are either Acea A3/B4 or Cx

Whether motocycle/scooter oils are Jaso MA or MA2 specd

But!!! Lets NOT overthink things here......just buy rottela T6 and call it a day! Because your scooter doesnt have shared sump and it is basically lawnmover on 2 wheels ...you can put in just about anything you want
wink.gif

so a motorcycle 5w40 is good enough - pricewise I dont care at all, it takes less than a quart.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
European 5w40 pcmos are not leaning towards scooter specs...

Pcmos are either Acea A3/B4 or Cx

Whether motocycle/scooter oils are Jaso MA or MA2 specd

But!!! Lets NOT overthink things here......just buy rottela T6 and call it a day! Because your scooter doesnt have shared sump and it is basically lawnmover on 2 wheels ...you can put in just about anything you want
wink.gif

I cant get Rotella T6 in Europe, but I could substitue with Delvac 1 5W40, and my lawnmower actually has a bigger engine ;-)

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
I would run 5W-40 in that engine. If you don't mind spending the extra money, a scooter specific 5W-40 should have some extra protection from heat if it is formulated for air-cooled scooters.

I have never used Scooter oils before, even tough I do own 2 scoots. I always opted for "real" motorcycle oils, I thought they had more additives for gearbox protection and usually Scooter oils are the lowest price ones. Amsoil for example, their scooter oil is less than half price compared to their MCF motorcycle oil and their MSDS doesnt list ZDDP as an additive in the scooter oil, but it does for the MCF.

I could of course opt for Motul 300V 5W40, which I have plenty since I use that in my Piaggio Maxi scooter (water cooled). My concern was the low Viscosity for a 40 grade, its borderline 30. And that Peugeot engine is aircooled so much harder on the oil than my Piaggo.

Last edited:
Sorry for Rottela.....I didnt see that you are just 400kms away
smile.gif

Just use your Motul 300V with confidence...its overkill for your scooter anyway
smile.gif

Run that 5w40! It'll probably be at full throttle/ engine speed most of the time anyway so the oil will be flung/ pumped all over and it'll be getting its designed amount of airflow.

It's force aircooled, so is always getting the right amount of air. Unlike a normal motorcycle where cooling air is dependent on road speed.

Originally Posted By: Silk
It's force aircooled, so is always getting the right amount of air. Unlike a normal motorcycle where cooling air is dependent on road speed.

That's actually something I simply overlooked

Forced air cooling on not, that engine is going to be cranking oil temps near 300 degrees in 80°F weather.

My experience digging inside of scooter engines is that 40 weight oil leaves a lot to be desired, especially in the top end.

Use a 20w50 motorcycle oil at a minimum.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Forced air cooling on not, that engine is going to be cranking oil temps near 300 degrees in 80°F weather.

My experience digging inside of scooter engines is that 40 weight oil leaves a lot to be desired, especially in the top end.

Give me more insight, what are the usual negatives you see when 40 weights were used?

So based on your post I would lean in the direction of Motul 300V Factory Line Road Racing 15W50 (which might be already in my stash, need to check that) or Castrol Power RS Racing 10W50 (which according to Castrols MSDS is PAO-based).

Last edited:
edit: I shall not forget about the warranty, so I'll have to consider a heavier 40 weight - Amsoils MCF claims a HTHS of 4.7 in the recent datasheet as well as a NOACK of 7.2 and a viscosity of 14.6@100°C.

Interesting oil, 2 gallons would fit all my 2 wheeled vehicles and would be suitable ..... not too low of an viscosity, nice high HTHS and low NOACK.

Originally Posted By: alex_at

So based on your post I would lean in the direction of Motul 300V Factory Line Road Racing 15W50 (which might be already in my stash, need to check that) or Castrol Power RS Racing 10W50 (which according to Castrols MSDS is PAO-based).

All of which are excellent oils for hard working air-cooled engines
smile.gif

Give me more insight, what are the usual negatives you see when 40 weights were used?

Cams and rockers looking like wiped out garbage. Seen chain guides eaten through by the cam chain as well.

Using a good 20/50, I never see this in my engines now. I check when I do the valve adjustments.

If you have to stay 40, get the highest HTHS you can, and make sure it's a heavily fortified oil.

Cams and rockers looking like wiped out garbage. Seen chain guides eaten through by the cam chain as well.

Using a good 20/50, I never see this in my engines now. I check when I do the valve adjustments.

If you have to stay 40, get the highest HTHS you can, and make sure it's a heavily fortified oil.

Thanks for the insight, so now I'm leaning towards the Amsoil MCF 10W40, it has a HTHS of 4.7 according to their datasheet - that's one of the highest for a 40 weight oil I've seen so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back