Marcus Aurelius, meditations PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.
About to urn 50 soon, and have decided to embrace a more stoical outlook...i.e. that which was likely/probable to occur should be managed for the best outcome with good humour rather than railed against...can't change that it (nothing really significant) is happening, and it surely was forseeable and likely, so stop acting surprised and get moving.

Came across this last night

http://seinfeld.co/library/meditations.pdf

The meditations of Marcus Aurelius, written a couple thousand years ago.

For those who like the abridged versions, he's the old guy...

(Oh, and I found this, so that I can hear it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTCrHporReo

Life is hard sometimes, but bad things are temporary....Buddhist Philosophy.

The Roman Empire was rolling around nicely with the great adoptive emperors (Trajan, Hadrian, Antoninus Pius, and Marcus Aurelius), and then MA had to screw everything up by having a son named Commodus.
I am about the same age as Shannow and find myself getting more and more angry over time, nice idea to turn to philosophy in a quest to chill out.

Must be an age thing,
smile.gif
I too have found solace and comfort in philosophy:

"Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted... but to weigh and consider."

Francis Bacon

Hence months trawling through forums on here on and off and saying little.... (much to consider VOA & UOA pending with Caterpillar lab!!)

Found this site years ago: Brainy Quotes found it helpful......
35.gif

My temperament has turned 180' since being told that I had cancer. I used to run on mad. Irascible to put it nicely. It was a defense mechanism. Cancer treatment and being a grouch, struck me as working against my best interests. As a technician , I knew it just made the job harder. So with the help of antidepressants, I over came my grumpiness,and most of my negativity when I realized that it was a waste of whatever time I have left. So 7 yrs later, the cancer isn't an issue. but I still enjoy a smile both giving and receiving. If my lot is to be a prole, then at least I am a happy prole and delight in getting my fellow proles to smile.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
The Roman Empire was rolling around nicely with the great adoptive emperors (Trajan, Hadrian, Antoninus Pius, and Marcus Aurelius), and then MA had to screw everything up by having a son named Commodus.
I am about the same age as Shannow and find myself getting more and more angry over time, nice idea to turn to philosophy in a quest to chill out.

Should have mentioned Lucius Verus, Marcus' "brother" (both adopted, not related by blood) and co-emperor until his early death from a plague in 169. Historians record him as being somewhat dissolute, but it's hard to look good next to the revered Marcus. Lucius did get credit for the Roman sack of the Parthian capital Ctesiphon despite not actually taking part directly in the expedition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back