Why have an oil stash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen this question way too often here stating that it is pointless to have an oil stash, and it's better to buy oil as needed.

I initially got a stash of 250-270 quarts which came up to roughly $400. Thanks to 2016 Autozone clearance. All synthetics. After doing 15 oil changes to friends and relatives (60ish quarts worth of oil changes) - the stash paid for itself, and now I got tons of free premium synthetic oils, that keep bringing me occassional $30 per oil change for someone (vs them spending $80-100 for synthetic oil change elsewhere.)

Yes, it wont make you rich lol, but in the end I got free premium synthetic oils and pocket money for Starbucks.

Cheers.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I got about 140 quarts of various clearance oils, I promised myself not to buy any more.
And we all know how that goes
happy2.gif

I have an oil stash for my Powerstroke for a completely different reason. Since Ford cannot make up its mind about CK-4 oil it only makes sense that I stockpile CJ-4 oil until they come around to see the light or until more of the majors develop a CK-4 oil that Ford will accept.

But I also have a stash of M1 AFE that was nearly free, so why pass up those savings?

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
I have seen this question way too often here stating that it is pointless to have an oil stash, and it's better to buy oil as needed.

I initially got a stash of 250-270 quarts which came up to roughly $400. Thanks to 2016 Autozone clearance. All synthetics. After doing 15 oil changes to friends and relatives (60ish quarts worth of oil changes) - the stash paid for itself, and now I got tons of free premium synthetic oils, that keep bringing me occassional $30 per oil change for someone (vs them spending $80-100 for synthetic oil change elsewhere.)

Yes, it wont make you rich lol, but in the end I got free premium synthetic oils and pocket money for Starbucks.

Cheers.

I agree. After my small stash of 7 jugs is done, I'll probably buy just enough for 2 oci for each vehicle, which will be 4 jugs Max.

Cheers.

I have a good sized oil stash simply because I can't pass up a bargain on good oil.
I have basically stopped doing oil changes for other people because for some reason they seem to think that because you enjoy changing oil you must also enjoy paying for it...You would be surprised at how many say... "Thanks'... but don't say... "What do I owe you"....or if they do say it....they follow up with "I'll give it to you later" and never do.....

PS: ...and all I really wanted was the cost of the oil and filter....nothing for my labor...

Because if the Suits from BITOG come to your house and check your stock and it's found to be low you LOSE YOUR MEMBERSHIP!!!
Can't go there.

Smoky
cry.gif

The only "stash" I have is oil left over from previous oil changes which gets used up in the next oil change.

My real stash is at Walmart. Leave it there

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I got about 140 quarts of various clearance oils, I promised myself not to buy any more.
And we all know how that goes
happy2.gif

Hahahaha

Seriously though i am going to stash away some pp 10w30 cuz i like the low noack. I am afraid they will change the formulation to meet some new spec and the noack will be compromised. So i have about 80 quarts stashed so far with more on way.

I have a stash cause most of it was free.
And when I want to change my oil I don't have to search for current sales.

I'll bet some BMW, Nissan GT-R, and Chrysler owners who used the pre-2016, fully certed M1 0w-40 for their vehicles, wish they had stashed away more of it before it was replaced by the lower viscosity version. As Merconvvv said above, there's no guarantee what works for you won't disappear from the market. That's also the case with the old German Castrol 0w-30. I'm sure there are many others too.

Old vs New M1 0w-40

Some of it is end of year sales - some is to always have oil/filter ready for several vehicles - as in I'm already dirty/sweating from yard work / knock off a change. But, there are casualties - plastic shelves collapsed and replaced with HD unit
sick.gif

ECONOMICS 101:
You'd need to do a synthetic oil change every other day at "full stash savings" in order to go to Starbucks daily.
Throw in a "premium" oil filter occasionally and the frequency goes up....or your Starbucks consumption goes down.

I'm down to:
2 jugs of Castrol 0W-20
4/5 pail of Schaeffer's 0W-20
2 jugs of M1 0W-40 European
assorted juice bottles of leftover oils "for my friends" (my cheap friends who always seem to come by in need of top-offs)

4 filters for both Mazda3 1998cc. Skyaktivs in my life (Hastings + WIX)
2 filters for the Saabs (M1 + Puro BOSS)
2 carts for the Volvo (MANN HU 819X)

Do wiper blades, brake parts, air, fuel and cabin air filters count as "stash"?

Better question is why have a ton of cheap bought oil and filters and then push your oil changes out to 10,000 miles and change your oil filter every other time and then pay for a oil sample test when you could just change it at 3,000-5,000 miles for less than $10.

I am always two changes ahead (12 quarts) with Mobil 1 0w20 AFE. Final cost per quart buying from Costco on sale and after rebate is 2.34 each.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
The only "stash" I have is oil left over from previous oil changes which gets used up in the next oil change.

My real stash is at Walmart. Leave it there
Unless Wally changes its business practices and charges more that's where my stash is, there and Amazon.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I have a stash cause most of it was free.
And when I want to change my oil I don't have to search for current sales.

Yup. I have space for it. I have it when I need it.
I have 2 vehicles that use the same oil, so no worries about buying too much of one oil and not enough of another.
I do occasional oil changes for family members. Brother in laws truck uses same filter as mine, so I have a few of those in the stash as well. Sisters SUV can use xw-20 or 30, so covered there, mom's SUV uses 5w-30, so added a few jugs to the stash for that, and used some of that stash on my mother in laws SUV that I had not planned on doing, but she needed and oil change when she was over last, and her filter interchanges with what I have for the wife's care.
That last one alone is worth what I have spent in the stash. Got me out of the house while the MIL was visiting and got bonus points for changing her oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back