2017 Kia Sportage AWD brief review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just spent a week, 500 miles, with the 2017 Kia Sportage AWD. Overall, I liked it and you get a lot for your money.

First, after reviewing the nearly $44K Chinese Buick Envision of exactly the same size! This Kia was a NET positive, big time. Everything I disliked about the Buick, the Kia has also. The gutless 4 cylinder engine, the relatively cramped interior, the fuel economy, the small size, etc. HOWEVER, this Kia can be had for nearly $20,000 less money. And you know what? For that price, it's a downright bargain. In the Sportage, you paid only for a reasonably high tech 4 cylinder engine and you get exactly what you pay for, along with all the undesirable 4 cylinder traits, in abundance. Guessing 0-60 is in the 9 second range. About like an older Prius.

It's every bit as fast as the Buick, which is to say, rather slow, but just a touch more engine noise gets in. (the Buick has active noise cancellation to trick 4 cylinder owners into thinking it's a luxury vehicle with a real engine)

It also drove better than the Buick, in overall city/highway traffic. It was more responsive and the brakes were just right (unlike the Buick) . The driving feel was exactly what you would expect from a modern vehicle. Accurate, precise and quick enough to be a pleasant. Nice!

The suspension was generally capable, rode well, and could only be upset by enthusiastic driving. At which point, it fell a bit short and skittered over the bumps.

MPG indicated 19 in the city and 24.5 in mostly highway driving. Not horrible, not fantastic.

The front cloth seats were comfortable, adjustable and easy to sit in during those extended NYC traffic jams. The interior is well appointed and had a very nice, quality look to it. In my opinion, as nice as the Buick, with the exception of the Buick's real leather seats.

The base model audio system was inadequate for audiophiles and enthusiasts. Typical of modern base model cars. Not awful, but missing the power and frequency response required for enjoyment of anything other than NPR news. If you want to "rock out" upgrade the stereo!

Overall, I enjoyed driving it. Not just because it was cheap, but it drove well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Overall, I enjoyed driving it. Not just because it was cheap, but it drove well.

That pretty much sums up my experience with my Elantra. I got a lot car for my money. I have been pleasantly surprised.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
I get 20 mpg on my 1999 v8 on the highway.
Wheres all the progress in last 17 years ?

Well, the 5.5 mpg gain is over 25% better...

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

At the expense of being able to do any useful work. Towing with the Sportage might be limited to 500 real world pounds...

I'm not at all sure the 4 cylinder engine is the only reason this thing gets 24.5MPG. I think it's the small size, coupled with the small engine. A V8 powered SUV is generally a full sized vehicle. The Sportage is a small-ish SUV.

A modern DI turbo 4 cylinder would be a wonderful addition to the Sportage, and would bring it into world class competition.

A turbo Sportage is available, someone at my office has one. It's 237 HP, 240 lbs/ft per Kia.com. But I think it's too expensive for what it is, the turbo model starts at $32K.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
It's a shame that non-union made foreign junk is selling for that kind of money. Buick has really upset me with their Chinese car.

Before you get in a huff realize the Chinese are the reason why the brand Buick is retained. It has decent success for GMs growth market China and they cannot kill it.

2016 Us sales Buick a paltry 202k compared to China they sold 1.1 million Buicks. It's a Chinese brand of GM they happen to sell here.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
It's a shame that non-union made foreign junk is selling for that kind of money. Buick has really upset me with their Chinese car.

Before you get in a huff realize the Chinese are the reason why the brand Buick is retained. It has decent success for GMs growth market China and they cannot kill it.

2016 Us sales Buick a paltry 202k compared to China they sold 1.1 million Buicks. It's a Chinese brand of GM they happen to sell here.

Think of how many US jobs would have been retained if not for our trade policies which enabled China to begin with.

Ford has scrapped plans to build the new Focus in Mexico. Now they will build it in China. The redesigned Ranger will be built in the old Focus plant.

Think of how many US jobs would have been retained if not for our trade policies which enabled China to begin with.

There was no demand for Buick in US which had little to with trade and everything to do with GM and marketing. The reason GM is viable company now is they globalized engineering and imported decent small designs really and produce competitive products finally across the spectrum. They do need to follow foreign based companies and build more in USA.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

It wud be interesting to see the gas mileage with my ford v8 in there !!!

The awd system seems to be the culprit the way I look at it. The difference between the fwd and the awd is about 4-5 mpg. Most vehicles lose one or maybe two mpg. Maybe this system is always engaged?

The awd system is from Magna, a Canadian company.

Weird it gets such poor mileage, since it weighs only 100 more than a forester xt thats rated at 23/27. Maybe it needs that new hyundai 8 speed.

Last edited:
The MPG is quite low. However Kia is a 2nd to 3rd tier brand.

Buy the Honda CRV you'll have superior resale AND 25/31 with a similar 2.4L.

The MPG is quite low. However Kia is a 2nd to 3rd tier brand.

Buy the Honda CRV you'll have superior resale AND 25/31 with a similar 2.4L.

I am looking seriously at a used Sorento and looked at all the years mileage ratings. It seems KIA just boosted the HP when they went to DI on their 4 and 6 cyl motors and mileage actually went down, but for the last couple years its now creeping up.
Anyways, IMO KIA is sneaking up on the top brands with certain vehicles and my only question mark is 10+ year reliability, where Honda/Toyota usually do well. Right now KIA still has a bad rep, so I'm buying used to take advantage of that, but I think it will change soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back