Clutch on the way out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
'09 Mazda 5 w/ 2.3 l Duratec and 5-speed manual, 136K km. I don't drive this vehicle often. I was test-driving it Saturday after replacing a wheel bearing and noticed that the engine revs were getting ahead of the vehicle's speed - that is, when I shifted into 2nd or 3rd, the RPMs would go up before the car seemed to respond. I'm thinking the clutch is on the way out.

Any thoughts on how I can be sure? I don't want to undertake an unnecessary repair!

Thanks in advance.

How high off the floor is the clutch engaging? Does it go away once the car is warmed up? Clutch life is dictated by the drivers. Somebody who knows can get 200K + on a clutch.

Yep, adjust if first. Make sure the linkage is working correctly and the action is smooth. Then try to take off from a standing start in 3rd gear. If you're easy on the gas and a bit more aggressive with the clutch the engine should stall. If it revs and you're sure you've adjusted the clutch linkage and it is working correctly then it's time to R&R the clutch package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back