Put anti-sieze on NGK plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the plugs on a 94 Crown Vic, out of habit I put a light coat of anti-sieze on. As soon as I finished I realized what I've done. So at this point should I replace them with steel plugs, retorque them once in a while or clean them and put them back? Real experience and speculation is welcome.

Take them out and clean the threads with some Brake Cleaner. But spray a rag with the cleaner and wipe the plugs dry. Let air dry for a while as well. Reinstall.

I would not worry about it. I use it on every plug even if the plug mfg recommends not to. Hand tighten ( not too much in al heads with anti-seize). Never had a problem.

If you try and clean it, and any gets on the porcelain around the tip, it will misfire like crazy.

Last edited:
Tomorrow I'm pulling some NGKs out of my Liberty that I had installed with antiseize a few years back....we shall see. I'll post up my results.

I've always installed plugs in my modular V8's with a light coat of anti seize and never had an issue. Plus they are easy to remove later! I know that I may be in the minority on this application, though.

+2..don't worry about it. FWIW..I use a drop or two of engine oil on the threads of new spark plugs when installing..usually NGKs. Never an issue. Anti-seize seems to get everywhere and make a mess. NGK may be worried about over-torquing the plugs or maybe A-S getting on the business end of the spark plug and causing problems.

I put just a small dab on all spark plugs. I don't worry about brushing it on, I let the threads distribute it.

I have used never seize on every single plug I have changed since 1971 and never had a single issue. Working in the trade I have done a lot of plugs in all those years, probably more than most people will do in a lifetime.
Just a little on the threads will do fine, reduce torque by 25% of you use a torque wrench, don't lather it on, Sleep well no harm done, leave them alone and forget it.

The real skinny on NGK's no use policy is legal, if you use too much and get it on the electrodes you can cause a misfire, with Federal emissions warranty the legal implications for them would be enormous.

I always use NGK plugs, and always add a wee bit of anti-seize. I've never had a problem. By way of contrast, I've run into seized-in factory plugs (admittedly not NGK) on friends' vehicles. This likely wasn't a problem in the leaded-gas days when the debate was whether to change plugs twice a year or every 10K miles. Now with a set of plugs good for 10 years or more, they can seize in badly.

The issue is over torquing them as the anti seize acts as a lubricant. If you didn't gorilla them in, it's fine as is.

Knowing that plugs stay in engines way longer then the old days,
I put anti-sieze on all plugs I work on, years later you won't strip
threads taking them out!

Never use drops of oil instead of anti-seize, the oil burns and bakes the plugs
into the threads and require more effort to remove a few years later!

The reasons I have seen on the interweb over the decades to not use antiseize are:
- Could result in over torque and breakage of threads or plugs
- Over use "might" affect heat and/or electrical conductance
- Over use might result in contamination of the electrodes and misfires

Here is an older NGK technical publication recommending no antiseize on "plated" plugs, but o.k.'s its use on plain steel, non plated plugs: https://www.ngkplugpro.ca/content/contentfiles/pdf/NGKSP-0907-1R-Anti-SeizeonSparkPlugs.pdf

Champion makes an aviation antiseize for airplane plugs.

Draw your own conclusions. Mine are that it is fine to use it sparingly and heed the cautions mentioned.

Originally Posted By: AVB
It is not going to hurt anything.
This ^. I've been using anti seize on NGKs for 25 years. It's funny how on BITOG "you don't have to" turns into a stern "you CAN'T" so often.

Originally Posted By: Ram02
NGK doesn't recommend anti seize on there plugs ??

Nope, they specifically advise against it.

If you apply it properly ... which you should read as "sparingly" ... antiseize is fine on almost any fastener, assuming install torque is adjusted accordingly.

With plugs I don't see torque being a problem, since hand-tight is hand-tight, and then going the proper fraction of a turn from there means the plug is installed and ready to run.

If installing new NGK plugs that have the anti seize plating, I do not use any anti sieze lube. If I am reinstalling a used NGK plug, then I use anti sieze lube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back