Yesterday at 02:19 PM
Who is a Dirt Track regular?
by thooks
Yesterday at 01:39 PM
Newest Members
ZEK, Dudewayne, kmdz, harborbirds, frascati
65292 Registered Users
Who's Online
23 registered (dishdude, Char Baby, buffalobob, bmod305, David_g, 2 invisible), 493 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
65292 Members
67 Forums
285749 Topics
4768887 Posts

Max Online: 3590 @ 01/24/17 08:07 PM
Donate to BITOG
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4490569 - 08/16/17 09:05 PM Wax Cotton Riding Jacket any Protection?
LoneRanger Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
Found a place in Britain that you send in your measurements and they'll custom make you a tailored riding jacket in a variety of color choices. Except they use wax cotton or something called ventile. I suspect neither would be any good against abrasion like you could experience in a low side crash?

http://claymorejackets.co.uk/mojave.htm

Only considering this because of being hard to fit mainly in arm length and then to get the right chest size it's like a circus tent at the waist, catches air, etc.

'09 Subaru Forester ...................(QSED DEXOS1 5W30)
'16 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 .....(ENI i-Ride PG 10W60)

#4490581 - 08/16/17 09:20 PM Re: Wax Cotton Riding Jacket any Protection? [Re: LoneRanger]
AVB Offline

Loc: Georgia
I don't remember the name of the place, but about 10 years ago I ordered a leather jacket this way. It was somewhere in India and very reasonably priced, I am pretty sure it was about $250. I need to get the zipper repaired. It is probably an easy diy fix. I was at the drag strip and at about 90mph the wind blew the zipper open from the bottom. Other than that the jacket has been great.

#4490585 - 08/16/17 09:29 PM Re: Wax Cotton Riding Jacket any Protection? [Re: LoneRanger]
Stevie Offline

Loc: Port Aransas, TX
Not only no, but helll no!

cotton mc jacket? Only if you are wearing a dew rag for a helmet as many Harley riders do.

#4490631 - 08/16/17 10:45 PM Re: Wax Cotton Riding Jacket any Protection? [Re: LoneRanger]
Johnny2Bad Offline

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
The waxed cotton coats first popularized in Australia and then elsewhere are like cotton duck or cotton canvas. It's a good wearing fabric, but it's a fabric. They also need maintenance (re-waxing from time to time).

Although better than what I see some people wearing, it's not leather, and if you are properly protected, you're wearing leather, nothing else is the equal.
'01 PT Cruiser [Mobil1 0W-40]

#4490643 - 08/16/17 11:14 PM Re: Wax Cotton Riding Jacket any Protection? [Re: LoneRanger]
Oro_O Offline

Loc: Seattle-ish, WA
Those are some interesting, classic looking jackets.

I used a Barbour Beaufort as a riding jacket a few winters in Seattle when I was in grad school; I commuted with it everyday. So waxed cotton can be a very effective material - in wet weather it's a really good alternative to leather if you hate synthetics. I had a full Hondaline suit for foul weather, but it was just such a hassle to wear and the material would never break in to be comfortable. The waxed cotton is what sailors used before synthetics, of course. Barbour makes some riding-specific models more like those. Someday I want to get a Barbour Submariner as a riding jacket - very functional for that, though originally designed for use on the bridge of RN submarines in the '30s.

If you use it a lot, you will need to re-proof (wax) it every year, which is a little bit of a chore but not horrible. I went through enough of the stuff I found a recipe for "Greenland" wax on the web and brewed up my own wax affordably vs. the very pricey imported English stuff. It worked well.

If you need a custom fit, that place has some really interesting looking things, nicely tailored for riding. Go for it! Would also be a nice styling match with the Guzzi. (I had an MG V50 Mk.III as my first street bike back in the day...)

#4490670 - 08/17/17 12:48 AM Re: Wax Cotton Riding Jacket any Protection? [Re: LoneRanger]
spackard Offline

Loc: CA
I have a wax cotton Barbour I use outside of the leather jacket, in rain.
The thing's great, best rain gear I've owned.
(Doesn't get much use in So Cal, but I had a good use for it when I bought it.)
I remember using it to ride home once in a downpour that had the cagers jaw-dropped.
(I have a full-faired bike though, so wind isn't much of a problem.)

There's subtleties to it - when hands are cold and wet, the liner is made of a fabric that keeps you warm but doesn't soak up the water on your hands, nor grip them when you're trying to wiggle a wallet into a pocket. The game pouch is a good place to stash things that need a dry space, without having to look for another place on the motorcycle. Every pocket has a snap and a double flap, for keeping water out.

#4490678 - 08/17/17 01:30 AM Re: Wax Cotton Riding Jacket any Protection? [Re: LoneRanger]
Silk Online   content

Loc: New Zealand
We call it oilskin here. I've got a Burke & Wills motorcycle jacket, made in Australia and a copy of the Belstaff. Very high quality, fits perfect, and is sometimes waterproof. I haven't crashed in this jacket, but 40 years ago did go for a fairly big slide down the road in oilskin...I was sliding on my back for so long I thought I'd stopped, so stood up - got flung into a forward roll and continued sliding for a bit longer. Not a mark on the oilskin coat I was wearing.

I've been through custom made leathers, to synthetic gear, and now waxed cotton is my prefered riding gear. I've got oilskin over trou, a wide brim hat for outside wear and an oilskin vest I wear outside, and on the scooter for the commute to work.

#4490721 - 08/17/17 06:00 AM Re: Wax Cotton Riding Jacket any Protection? [Re: Stevie]
LoneRanger Offline

Originally Posted By: Stevie
Not only no, but helll no!

cotton mc jacket? Only if you are wearing a dew rag for a helmet as many Harley riders do.

I think it is more of a hardened or armored cotton that maybe slides slickly and doesn't grab the asphalt?

#4490724 - 08/17/17 06:04 AM Re: Wax Cotton Riding Jacket any Protection? [Re: Silk]
LoneRanger Offline

Originally Posted By: Silk
We call it oilskin here. I've got a Burke & Wills motorcycle jacket, made in Australia and a copy of the Belstaff. Very high quality, fits perfect, and is sometimes waterproof. I haven't crashed in this jacket, but 40 years ago did go for a fairly big slide down the road in oilskin...I was sliding on my back for so long I thought I'd stopped, so stood up - got flung into a forward roll and continued sliding for a bit longer. Not a mark on the oilskin coat I was wearing.

I've been through custom made leathers, to synthetic gear, and now waxed cotton is my prefered riding gear. I've got oilskin over trou, a wide brim hat for outside wear and an oilskin vest I wear outside, and on the scooter for the commute to work.

Hey this is good news to me. I might be inclined to have one made up, if you look on their ordering page there are 11 measurements they require. Has to yield a glove-like fit, one would think.

How would you rate wax cotton as far as warm weather jacketing goes? Probably completely depends upon the venting designed into the jacket?

#4490730 - 08/17/17 06:15 AM Re: Wax Cotton Riding Jacket any Protection? [Re: LoneRanger]
Silk Online   content

Loc: New Zealand
We don't get that hot here, 30c is a stinking hot day. That's a T shirt under the jacket weather, hot when you stop, just right moving...same as leather. Waxed cotton is soft when it's hot, stiffer when cold. Some say it smells when warm, I say it's a nice smell. Colder than my previous synthetic in winter, specially the lower back which is not a good place to get cold. It has no armour, so wear a back protector which keeps my back warm. I used to commute down to minus 3 C, and my hands were always the concern, not my body. My Burke & Wills has a couple of eyelets under the arms for venting, that's it...my leather jacket has no venting at all. Venting under the arms, in the rain, in a waterproof jacket ?...?

#4490733 - 08/17/17 06:18 AM Re: Wax Cotton Riding Jacket any Protection? [Re: LoneRanger]
DB_Cooper Offline

Loc: Ga

Wax cotton jackets are just fine. I still use my Belstaff jacket from time to time.

#4490766 - 08/17/17 07:16 AM Re: Wax Cotton Riding Jacket any Protection? [Re: LoneRanger]
Virtus_Probi Offline

Loc: New England
I bought a waxed cotton jacket some time ago and thought it was horribly stuffy and uncomfortable, far worse than leather...but, it was from some clearance website and I suspect it was not of the quality they claimed.
Tokyo Roki 15208AA170 filter

#4490920 - 08/17/17 10:36 AM Re: Wax Cotton Riding Jacket any Protection? [Re: LoneRanger]
dparm Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
A waxed cotton jacket is nowhere near as strong as a leather one. I have a Barbour and it's very functional as far as insulating and keeping you dry, but they are primarily for hunting and other outdoors activities -- if you lose it on a motorcycle, it's just cotton and will be no better than denim or other fabric.

#4490934 - 08/17/17 10:52 AM Re: Wax Cotton Riding Jacket any Protection? [Re: dparm]
LoneRanger Offline

Originally Posted By: dparm
A waxed cotton jacket is nowhere near as strong as a leather one. I have a Barbour and it's very functional as far as insulating and keeping you dry, but they are primarily for hunting and other outdoors activities -- if you lose it on a motorcycle, it's just cotton and will be no better than denim or other fabric.

I'm not sure that's the case, considering it's use as mentioned above by actual riders with experience wearing it, and in Silk's case, in a body slide during a come off. Perhaps the deeply impregnated wax prevents the cotton from hooking up with the asphalt?

It does, however, sound quite hot in warm weather. We regularly see 90- 95 F (31 - 35 C) here with high humidity from about July - early Sept.

#4491356 - 08/17/17 07:18 PM Re: Wax Cotton Riding Jacket any Protection? [Re: LoneRanger]
Oro_O Offline

Loc: Seattle-ish, WA
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

It does, however, sound quite hot in warm weather. We regularly see 90- 95 F (31 - 35 C) here with high humidity from about July - early Sept.

Yes, they don't breathe at all. The wax prevents that. They get stinking hot in humid weather, but they are hard to beat for water protection (even against some very good synthetics). It would not be a summer jacket in the Midwest (or most of the rest of the country!).

Totally cool pics of the inimitable Steve and his Belstaff and Triumph Scrambler above!

Edited by Oro_O (08/17/17 07:21 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >