1992 Honda accord paint job

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my family just bought a 1992 Honda accord and the clearcoat has had better days. It looks terrible but I am planning on repainting it. The only thing I am repainting is where the clearcoat has failed and flaked off which is the hood, roof and top of trunk. My question is how many cans of spray paint (primer, clear coat, paint) will I need about. I have no clue any help or tips would be appreciated.

you can try re-spraying just the clear coat and see the difference before you rub down to do an entire paint refresh.

Last edited:
It'd probably look better if you leave the patina on the car. Most times people end up making things look hoodbilly when they rattle can a car.

That is just the hood, the roof and top of trunk have zero clearcoat. But so you think it is worth a shot to clean it up and respray the clearcoat?

My olds looks just like that. I have debated painting it. I drive it to work and i appear unpretentious!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
My advise ,take this to a professional.!

Agreed or just drive it if money is tight!!

You can always Plastidip the top of it. It's that peelable stuff and other have done it on the Accord forum. But just do the top in grey. Even if it doesn't match 100% it will look much better than doing nothing.

Option 2, prep the surface yourself by sanding, priming then take it to Maaco to have sprayed. Find a good Maaco. They are cheap and do an ok job at spraying. There was a thread on here recently about them. Here you go:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4490071/1
Before:

After:

Last edited:
Ok the paint is too far gone but,
you can try carbon fiber wrapping it, look for a local vinyl and tint shop.(Thats what most of them go by in my country)
and tell them you want to wrap your bonnet, hood and trunk lid.
Then polish and wax the other body panels.
You would be surprise how good this will come out

I like the wrap idea. The new to me 99 Ford someone got to aggressive with a power buffer and went through the top of the doors and some on the roof. Lot of shops that do that kind of work in south Tx. Now to see about getting the pin stripping redone as its starting to degrade pretty fast

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back