Hydrostatic Trans Fluid question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings, all!

I am new to the boards here and found these forums in my search for an answer to my question:

Is it normal for hydrostatic transaxle fluid to "darken" in a brand new transaxle?

Background: I have a brand new John Deere X580 lawn/garden tractor Riding Mower and, upon delivery, the low viscosity transaxle fluid was the typical "honey" but, almost "clear" color. (The fluid reservoir container is translucent and you can easily see the fluid level and color in the rear of the machine.) Anyhoo, I have 2.2 hours on the tractor now, after 3 mowings with it, I notice the transaxle fluid is now a medium shade of gray ... is this normal?

I intend to contact the dealer where I purchased the unit; however; I also want to pick the experience of those of you here who might have a lot of experience with the hydrostatic transmissions in the John Deere Select Series riding mowers (first because I typically "leave no stone unturned" in my search for answers and secondly, I anticipate responses here will be entirely objective).

Thanks in advance -- the only thing that exceeds my anxiety I may have a major problem with a brand new purchase that represents and incr double investment for my wife and I is my appreciation for any feedback , based on actual experience.

I cant say about the new stuff but I have a 1986 jd330 and I use hygard in it. It has about 1200 hours on it and the fluid has never gotten grey. It might darken a little but barely any by the time mowing season is over. I use the tractor for at least 3 hours every time I mow.

Some degree of darkening is normal, how much is normal for your trans I don't know. Is there a HST filter and what's the trans fluid change interval? Don't go crazy worrying about it anyways, hopefully you bought from a good dealer, so keep them informed and the warranty is there if you need it. Doing an early change is never a bad idea either, just for your piece of mind if nothing else.

Originally Posted By: 73Chall
Is it normal for hydrostatic transaxle fluid to "darken" in a brand new transaxle?

Darken in reasonably long use is normal.

Quote:
Anyhoo, I have 2.2 hours on the tractor now, after 3 mowings with it, I notice the transaxle fluid is now a medium shade of gray ... is this normal?

In 2.2 hours, that is abnormal.

Quote:
........the low viscosity transaxle fluid was the typical "honey" but, almost "clear" color.

This may be the problem.

Btw, what's the viscosity and specs of oils in use ?

Here's the owners/maintenance manual for that machine if anyone is interested: https://www.google.com/search?q=John+Deere+X580&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=John+Deere+X580+manual

There is a 50 hour break-in service interval tranny fluid/filter change for the 580.

I operate quite a bit of JD equipment at my workplace and am familiar with their Hy Gard and Low Viscosity Hy Gard fluids. I have NEVER had the fluid turn gray, even after 6 years and 600+ hours of service. It tends to stay clear and darkens only a small amount. I have seen the fluid sometimes get whipped up a bit with tiny air bubbles that makes it look a bit cloudy, but this goes away. After 6 years or so of use, I have also seen it start to turn just a tad cloudy from imbibing a bit of moisture condensation off the tranny walls.

Pull a sample out and see how it looks in a clear glass container.

Here's a pic of new Hygard vs. 6 year old: less than 1/8" of sediment settled in the 2 right bottles.

not at all normal...I have the x590 with 8hrs on the clock and it's still the same honey color as when I picked it up. sounds like it's definitely collecting some significant amount of shavings from that k72 transaxle..

Howdy fellas!

First of all, THANK YOU each for your time, both in replying as well as sharing your direct experience(s)

As soon as our visiting relatives are outta here, I am definitely taking the photos I snapped to the dealer (I am without a trailer)

I am hoping they have some kind of loaner they can drop off when they pick this unit up (or else I'll be "up the creek," so to speak)

(Also, I apologize for the all day lag in replying but, I was in the midst of labor that precluded me from having my phone down in the hole, with me!)

I had some grayish streaks in the drained oil from the arse-end of my 2005 model year Cub Cadet 2544 back when I drained the 6qts of factory "Cub Cadet Drive System Fluid Plus" from it. Different setup though. These units have a cast iron (Chinese) transaxle assembly with a HydroGear BDU series drive coupled to the input.

Greetings, all!

I just wanted to followup (I HATE it when OP's never come back and followup!) and update: I took advice here, made dealer aware of it and I am having THEM change the transaxle fluid at the 6.5 hour mark. I figure having them do it, I have documentation of it 3-1/2 years from now (the "bumper-to-bumper" warranty is for 4 years).

If it darkens again I won't fret (but, I will hold onto that documentation! Hopefully, I will never need it!)

Also, since my OP I reached out tonTuffTorque directly and they suggested same thing: change fluid and both filters and monitoring it thereafter.

And, I just wanted to say a big Thank You to all -- have a great and safe Autumn!!!

I thought ToughTorque changed the oil specification from 5W-30 to 5W-50?

Factory fill was still 5W-30....

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
I thought ToughTorque changed the oil specification from 5W-30 to 5W-50?

Factory fill was still 5W-30....

They did, according to the customer support. 5w50 Castrol made the trans in my Deere MUCH quieter, and maybe a tad bit more responsive in reverse.

Originally Posted By: 73Chall
Greetings, all!

I just wanted to followup (I HATE it when OP's never come back and followup!) and update: I took advice here, made dealer aware of it and I am having THEM change the transaxle fluid at the 6.5 hour mark. I figure having them do it, I have documentation of it 3-1/2 years from now (the "bumper-to-bumper" warranty is for 4 years).

If it darkens again I won't fret (but, I will hold onto that documentation! Hopefully, I will never need it!)

Also, since my OP I reached out tonTuffTorque directly and they suggested same thing: change fluid and both filters and monitoring it thereafter.

And, I just wanted to say a big Thank You to all -- have a great and safe Autumn!!!

^^^ Good on you...
thumbsup2.gif

Being this is a new unit I wonder if there is assembly lube in the unit that is mixing with the oil and causing it to darken.

Either way, safe bet to change it out, then at least you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back