Spark plugs removal: Air ratchet or by hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to do the spark plugs on my Liberty, switching out the NGK Vs for more of the same. Aluminum heads for FWIW. I've done them by hand always, but always open to a better/safer method, would using an air ratchet be a safer bet for removal? As in, less likely to result in broken plugs or damaged threads. I do it when the engine is cold.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am for by hand.
After you park the warmed vehicle give the plugs a shot of penetrating oil to hopefully soak the threads and allow a easy extraction. I know Ford was requesting owners to bring in their trucks the night before so they could soak the plugs overnight.

Last edited:
Get 'em loose by hand. If you're amazingly lazy use the ratchet after that but IMO it's overkill and with the weight of the hose etc you could cock a plug sideways.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Get 'em loose by hand. If you're amazingly lazy use the ratchet after that but IMO it's overkill and with the weight of the hose etc you could cock a plug sideways.

Agreed.

By hand you can "feel" if something is amiss and quickly stop.

Hand,

Use the ratchet to break it loose the take theratchet off the extension and unscrew by hand. This is when will appreciate a knarled extension.

I wonder if a bit of rattle from an impact on an extremely low torque setting would help free some of the tight ones.Sometimes tightening slightly then untightening will help with removal.Would use an impact only at low torque for a couple seconds just to free them up.A 1/2 inch ratchet helps leverage in loosening the tight ones.

Do it by hand, and remember, never use any anti-seize on any NGK spark plugs
smile.gif

^^THAT^^

I'm thinking the question was one of those "fun ones".
I don't get all out of shape and use the word, "trolling" as many would because I don't know what it means exactly.

Everybody know that impact guns are used for plug installation ONLY.
And be blithe about it. The plugs will center themselves. (See, how do you like it?)

32.gif

I saw more than a few guys on YT using an impact wrench on Ford Triton V8 engines to prevent the two piece sparkplugs from breaking off in the head. Worked infinitely better than a presoak.

Originally Posted By: 9050lx
I wonder if a bit of rattle from an impact on an extremely low torque setting would help free some of the tight ones.Sometimes tightening slightly then untightening will help with removal.Would use an impact only at low torque for a couple seconds just to free them up.A 1/2 inch ratchet helps leverage in loosening the tight ones.

With your typical six inch extension in the mix the extension will soak up that rattle.

I do use a battery powered impact driver to take off the dumb engine cover via its 10mm fasteners as well as the coils-on-plug. Perfect for that.

Thanks for the help everyone...sounds like by hand is the best. Will do.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Do it by hand, and remember, never use any anti-seize on any NGK spark plugs
smile.gif

I did last time...hope that won't be an issue for removal! First I've heard that about NGK plugs.

If yu live in a salt area use the never seize even on NGK. NGK claims its coating prevents seizure, it doesn't always and the do not use is just a legal disclaimer.
I have had many coated NGK plugs seize in aluminum heads after years or being in there and been a real sweat getting them out.

Ok cool, these have been in for 2 years/25k miles, so hopefully nothing is stuck! I do live in very salty area. Is copper antiseize ok to use? It's what I used the past few times.

If I were a guy getting paid flat rate time, I'd use an impact for everything as they do. If anything breaks, it's the owner's problem.
Since I'm not and if anything breaks it's my problem, I use a ratchet for most things, as I can.
I'd never gun a sparkplug out.

Sparkplugs by hand, If there is carbon on the threads, you can work them back and forth by hand. Otherwise the aluminum threads may come out with the plug!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Sparkplugs by hand, If there is carbon on the threads, you can work them back and forth by hand. Otherwise the aluminum threads may come out with the plug!
DING DING DING Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Its a risk proposition, but could might oughta help.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: 9050lx

With your typical six inch extension in the mix the extension will soak up that rattle.

I do use a battery powered impact driver to take off the dumb engine cover via its 10mm fasteners as well as the coils-on-plug. Perfect for that.

Originally Posted By: Trav
If yu live in a salt area use the never seize even on NGK. NGK claims its coating prevents seizure, it doesn't always and the do not use is just a legal disclaimer.
I have had many coated NGK plugs seize in aluminum heads after years or being in there and been a real sweat getting them out.

Perhaps this topic deserves its own thread but can you please discuss further your reasons/experiences?

I always understood that NGK threads were factory treated with an anti-seize type plating so an aftermarket anti-seize product was discouraged. Also, that anti-seize treated threads affect torque specs.

Thanks for any insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back