Fram Ultra Baseplate Holes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had two new Ultras, 3614 and 7317 and the TG versions.
The Ultra is my favorite period but the baseplate holes are really getting sharp. Won't know about inside until I run them. But I hope they don't go the Purolator route.

Every Ultra I have cut open had smooth edges on the inside and rough on the outside because that is the direction they are punched.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Every Ultra I have cut open had smooth edges on the inside and rough on the outside because that is the direction they are punched.

Understood let's hope so. But when the Chinese deburr both sides I think Fram should too.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

Understood let's hope so. But when the Chinese deburr both sides I think Fram should too.
I think they grind the inside too. Have a look at the FRAM's that Car51 just posted.

I cut a Wix 51064 open that the ADBV was leaking down on and the holes in the base plate had burrs around the holes on the inside. I'm going to use the Ultra for now. Installed an Ultra on my tractor which has a horizontal orientation and it is working great. After sitting for a week, the oil light goes out before it cranks. And it starts instantly. I'm sold.

That's BRILLIANT engineering! The holes are smooth at the ADBV where it counts. Burrs on the outside just don't matter. When the filter is installed on an engine, they won't hurt anything. And, if any pieces of metal get loose (unlikely) they just get sucked in to the filter and captured there.

I use 7317 on my dirt bike at the bottom of the frame neck reservoir. ADBV performance is critical here, because if the frame neck drains out, the engine will take about 15 seconds to build oil pressure from zero. If the frame air locks, it may not make pressure at all.

Have had zero issues with either TG or XG 7317. Moment I jump on the kick starter, the engine catches , and the oil light is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back