FRAM HM 3387A, CUT OPEN 6,500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter and Maxlife 5w30 blend was off my co workers 2011 Chevy Silverado 4x4 truck with the 4.3 v-6 engine.

I've posted a few of his used oil filters before. Doesn't look pretty I say but it's his truck and he works
It hard, or uses it a lot. Put some Maxlife Synthetic 5w30 and a FRAM ULTRA on. Truck has almost 90k on it

WOW!! If that was my engine I would be freaking out and doing weekly oil changes or look for another car. That filter trapped a lot of gunk...never saw one like this, nasty! I love looking at all your CP, thank you.

The filter looks dirty is all i can see that doesnt look good. Personally without a UOA and if that were my truck id change filter and oil at maybe 4000 miles and check again to see how it looks.

Hopefully the ultra and syn clean it up a bit and contain the dirt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fozzdesy2001
WOW!! If that was my engine I would be freaking out and doing weekly oil changes or look for another car. That filter trapped a lot of gunk...never saw one like this, nasty! I love looking at all your CP, thank you.

You're very welcome sir
smile.gif

Co worker was on vacation( he's a oil changer at my work) for 2 weeks. Told me he did "a lot of work" on the truck so....hopefully next oil change filter will look better. 6,500 miles is what GM owners manual for this truck says also.
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
The filter looks dirty is all i can see that doesnt look good. Personally without a UOA and if that were my truck id change filter and oil at maybe 4000 miles and check again to see how it looks.

Hopefully the ultra and syn clean it up a bit and contain the dirt.

I hope so too
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Matagonka
Fram makes good stuff, but the High Mileage filter line was a bad idea.

From what Motorking said in the link a couple of posts above, it seems to have benefits for certain use applications.

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
Fram makes good stuff, but the High Mileage filter line was a bad idea.

The word I would use is 'pointless'. The filter is an EG orange can with additive basket Fram rated to 5k miles. Any API rated conventional oil will get the job done for 5k miles with no need for additional additives to address TAN.

Regardless, seems to be a moot point now as the HM looks to be going the way of the discontinued Double Guard filter. Without question the DG was a "bad idea".

As for topic filter, looks to be ok though not sure I can say the same about the engine on which it was installed.

Thanks for c&p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back