How goldfish and some carp survive 0% O2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have oft wondered what makes some carp species so invasive, and able to live in conditions that other fish can't, including under ice sheets for months at a time.

Found out yesterday that they have two metabolic paths, one that functions in zero O2...

https://www.newscientist.com/article/214...l-inside-cells/

The new scientist article skips a step.

When they process carbs aerobically, they process it like we do.

When they process it anearobically, they produce lactic acid just like we do, but have another parth that conversts the lactic acid into ethanol, which is dissipated through their gills into the water.

Apparently they live in this state with a BAC of 0.05 to 0.1, waiting for the oxygen to come back.

Nature is amazing.

(and carp are forever)

Carp are a big topic in the Great Lakes area. They are essentially knocking at the door of Lake Michigan, ready to invade the whole water ecosystem. The only thing holding them back is a few electric fences in canals in the Chicagoland area. These battles with nature and bioinfestation never end well.

Very interesting. I wonder if the Beta (Betta splendens) shares this adaptation to some extent.

The cafe next to our office in Bucharest served carp - and I found their translation to English to be fitting: Cra-
ending in p

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
The cafe next to our office in Bucharest served carp - and I found their translation to English to be fitting: Cra-
ending in p

lol......

Don't forget about Joe Tess' Place in Omaha, NE. They serve carp all sorts of ways, from fried,chowder, sandwich..

I've never had it, but apparently it's quite popular. Was even featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.

Bowfishing them here in MN has become a great sport with the blessing of the DNR. Addictive sport. Often see posts when they will be shooting carp to get people to recycle them-fish meal. I like them smoked. Mong population eat lot of what they catch

Ah, anaerobic respiration, 10th grade biology, taught by Ed Klavon. I always liked Mr. Klavon, he was a good teacher and a good person.

Lesson as remembered: working a muscle beyond the capability of oxygen as delivered by the blood stream, it goes into anaerobic respiration, and builds up lactic acid in the muscle. Breaking down the lactic acid takes time, and it's this process that causes sore muscles the day after the work out. Lesson learned, thanks Mr. Klavon.

The reduction to ethanol is an interesting twist. Yes nature is amazing.

If you could stop breathing only to get drunk, you'd probably be invasive too
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Carp are a big topic in the Great Lakes area. They are essentially knocking at the door of Lake Michigan, ready to invade the whole water ecosystem. The only thing holding them back is a few electric fences in canals in the Chicagoland area. These battles with nature and bioinfestation never end well.

You are describing the higly invasive Asian Carp.

Lake Michigan has a healthy population of Common Carp introduced 100 years ago.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Very interesting. I wonder if the Beta (Betta splendens) shares this adaptation to some extent.

Yep,because they can breathe underwater with their gills as well as breathe air out of the water. Amazing fish!!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: wemay

Yep,because they can breathe underwater with their gills as well as breathe air out of the water. Amazing fish!!

True, but being a tropical fish, Beta cannot tolerate temperatures below the mid 60F range for any length of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back