Windows 10 download for USB..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excited, happy I got the old my desktop going.....even has internet now.

Wanted to do an upgrade from Vista to 7, so I could just keep what I have on it now (son will be sad about minecraft). But good ol' Windows Vista is turning out to be a PITA now matter what- so my only option is going to be a clean install anyways.

So, I figure if I have to do that, I might as well throw on Windows 10. But, while I have a code, I no longer have the USB that had 10 on it (back when you could get free upgrade) So, I need to find the software again so it will automatically boot right off of the USB (unless I have to to something special before- like F something it for example)

Tips on where I can go to get it (was thinking simple like windows site, but figure I should ask those who know)

Take a step back from that Windows 10 idea. Then turn around and run the other way! I want to upgrade my windows 10 machine to 7.

Well, I would run the system readyness tool.

I would think that a Vista era box is not ready for windows 10.

Sure you can throw it on there, but everything might not work, and you probably will have poor performance.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

Sure you can throw it on there, but everything might not work, and you probably will have poor performance.

This. Even if it was one of the very last new PCs with Vista, it's going to barely meet the 10 requirements.

Sorry, I disagree with you guys. We have Vista era PCs in our corporate fleet running Windows 10 and they're fine. There hasn't been any big technological shifts in the PC market in the last 7-8 years like in the past. The newer systems only offer incremental improvements on the older ones.

I will add the caveat that all of our desktops have a minimum of 8GB of RAM.

While true, this was a 1100 computer back in the day...so hoping it should-looks like it according to the website....let me know what you think:

https://www.cnet.com/products/gateway-fx7026/specs/

I just picked up another 4GB of G skill ram to bump it up to 8GB of RAM....though at first it may start at 4GB.

At this stage it it's life it is more of a web and paperwork kinda computer...so I do not expect much more than that anyways. It's to give me a break from laptops for a while, and help me save for a thinkpad sooner...
cool.gif
Besides, I was just given a cozy chair to enjoy.....

Originally Posted By: dparm

This. Even if it was one of the very last new PCs with Vista, it's going to barely meet the 10 requirements.

KInda true...though my dad just threw 10 on his computer from late 09...and it took it okay. Hoping for the same here.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

While true, this was a 1100 computer back in the day...so hoping it should-looks like it according to the website....let me know what you think:

https://www.cnet.com/products/gateway-fx7026/specs/

I just picked up another 4GB of G skill ram to bump it up to 8GB of RAM....though at first it may start at 4GB.

At this stage it it's life it is more of a web and paperwork kinda computer...so I do not expect much more than that anyways. It's to give me a break from laptops for a while, and help me save for a thinkpad sooner...
cool.gif
Besides, I was just given a cozy chair to enjoy.....

That system will run 10 without issue, 10's requirements are not out of this world crazy by any stretch of the imagination.

HOWEVER, 10 IS in a constant state of flux; sort of a permanent beta test. So you may be better served using Windows 7 if that bothers you.

I'm still deploying Windows 7 boxes for clients, particularly those with legacy software whose vendor doesn't support 8 or 8.1, let alone 10. 10 has proven to be a significant obstacle with vendors, as it is the furthest thing from a static product, with a rolling build cycle making it a moving target, which is a significant support hurdle. I'm interested to see how that works going forward and 7 eventually goes EOL.

Memory will be key for you on Win10. 8GB i would say as a minimum. If you don't/can't have it then get a new PC with Win10 on it. The free period for Win10 install is OVER so unless you PREVIOUSLY registered your key to Win10 then it will not work as an upgrade. The ONLY free upgrade path left is for Challenged/handicapped and you can google the website.

As corp IT i Used to Hate win10 and now have it on everything with ZERO issues. One awesome thing it does well ...IPhone pictures no longer are stuck upside down. Win 10 can flip them over and often automatically.

It has been my understanding - possibly wrongly - that the last few versions of Windows have been *less* resource-intensive than their predecessors. I can absolutely see drivers being an issue; but I have an old laptop here with 2GB RAM and a very pedestrian Intel video chip that runs Win10 better and faster (Almost approaching "usable". Of course, it screams running Linux with a 2D desktop...) than it ran Vista, which was its original OS.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

It has been my understanding - possibly wrongly - that the last few versions of Windows have been *less* resource-intensive than their predecessors. I can absolutely see drivers being an issue; but I have an old laptop here with 2GB RAM and a very pedestrian Intel video chip that runs Win10 better and faster (Almost approaching "usable". Of course, it screams running Linux with a 2D desktop...) than it ran Vista, which was its original OS.

I would worry about the onboard wifi not working, may want to check that.

Yes it runs acceptably with dual core and 4gb ram. The system requirements are quite low.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
Memory will be key for you on Win10. 8GB i would say as a minimum. If you don't/can't have it then get a new PC with Win10 on it. The free period for Win10 install is OVER so unless you PREVIOUSLY registered your key to Win10 then it will not work as an upgrade. The ONLY free upgrade path left is for Challenged/handicapped and you can google the website.

As corp IT i Used to Hate win10 and now have it on everything with ZERO issues. One awesome thing it does well ...IPhone pictures no longer are stuck upside down. Win 10 can flip them over and often automatically.

I think one little known secret is that a fresh install will just work. I seem to recall reading a few articles to that effect and I just upgraded a Dell to Windows 10 and it didn't ask for anything. Although I don't know if Dell registered anything in advance. Came with 7 and I just downloaded the image mentioned earlier, did a few bios changes and installed 10 from the USB. Worked fine without requiring registration. And of course there's also free disability path too.

Yep, sounds like it could...and my product key is not and upgrade key either...

Though I stopped into best buy quick as a needed a new usb drive, and he suggested throwing 10 on an ssd drive to really make it pop since I still have a bay in there yet....he said something in any size (like 120GB) would really speed it up nice.

Tough as I don't want to put too much money into, but curious on the other hand to see how it does.....

I just finished up a fresh install of Win 10 yesterday for a friend. It was in a tower that was running Win 7 and I was able to do it free. Google "ways to still get Win 10 for free." It went w/o a hitch. I was able to do it w/o a USB drive, or a DVD via MSFT website, hard wired to the WWW. It took a while. This machine had 4 GB of RAM, and I wasn't one bit impressed with the speed. I would say 8 GB of RAM as Kawiguy454 suggested would be the way to go, and on an SSD drive.

I had Windows 10 on a Netbook (Atom processor, 2 gigs ram) and it worked better than Windows 7.

I kept most of my computers on Windows 7 (Need Windows Media Center on 2 HTPC's). My laptop and primary desktop are Windows 10. I did register all my Win 7 computers to Windows 10 if/when I ever want to do them.

Okay, got my USB loaded with windows 10 ready to go. Getting ready to grab another 4gb of gskill ram to bump this thing up to 8gb. Checked ....this old but bad boy will handle 10 with (hopefully) no problems. Stuff saved to a UBB drive.

Was suggested that I should put this on a SSD drive. Thought about it, but for me it does not have to be instant, just faster than the like 5 minutes it takes Vista to boot up now...
crackmeup2.gif

Should I do a SSD? Or can I count on this the still boot itself in a minute or so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back