Durable Satin Black trim paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The aluminium mirror assembly on both my mirrors is in need of refinishing. The OEM finish is some sort of powder coating that is now starting to peel off from the aluminium oxide forming underneath. I'm planning on stripping the finish off and painting them. Does anyone know of a brand that offer good durability against marring and scratches?

Was at the store yesterday and saw a clear rustoluem product called rock guard. Can't recall if it was satin or gloss. If they have a satin product then it might be a good option for you as a layer over a black satin coat. Haven't tried it myself though.

For rattle-can paint PJ1 satin black is pretty good, though I don't think solvent-based paints are particularly good for abrasion resistance.

I use PJ1 on my wiper blades, which long ago lost their OEM black finish and the underlying metal is chrome-like and reflects a lot of sun into the driver's eyes. I have to respray them about every 3 years, so that should give you an idea of the paint's durability.

I prefer DupliColor trim paint, which you can find in auto parts stores. I've used it in the past for black metal trim as well as repainting faded wiper arms. It's much more durable that your usual spray paint.

For anything plastic I have found nothing better than Krylon Fusion.

I've used Dupli-Color's Trim Paints in the past, and I was always satisfied with the results.

Since you're going to be painting metal, I would imagine the most important part is to get that first coat (of whatever) properly laid down. There are several different approaches to that I'm sure, but Dupli-Color's method probably deserves some consideration as well:

https://www.duplicolor.com/video/type/how-to-projects/car-trim-paint-how-to-from-dupli-color

At AZ get the VHT epoxy paint. I believe it comes in gloss and flat black and some other basic colors. I used to shoot black epoxy paint on cycle/snowmobile frames it is super tough and only needs clean unprimesd surface.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back