1987 22RET SF/CC 10W-40 oil recomendations...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a 1987 (Toyota truck) with a 22RET/ RTE (factory turbo) that calls for SF/CC 10W-40 oil. I had a cam shaft failure, while running Castrol Syntec synthetic oil recently (in 2001). I think it was 5W-50. I was changing the oil and filter every ~3,000 miles. The last time I blew the turbo, the rebuilder recommended I use a 5W-40 oil...

What are my best choices (cost less than $25 per gallon):
---- The temperature here is between -10 and 110F (normally its 30-90F).
---- This engine has overhead cam, that the rocker arms ride (slide) directly on the camshaft.

My last OC was with Eneos 5W-40 Synthetic oil. Often I use whatever synthetic oil is on sale.

MRY

I doubt the viscosity had anything to do with the cam failure, i would run as someone else mentioned M1 5W-40 TDT or Shell Rotella T6 5W-40.
Even a 15W-40 Conventional HDEO would do like Rotella, Delo 400.
If that engine is a flat tappet camshaft engine, then it might have been a low ZDDP oil that wiped it out, any of these oils i have mentioned have fairly high concentrations of Zddp.

Agree with the diesel oil recommendations.. 15W40 would do fine in this engine. But one of the 5W40 diesel oils would work great as well if you prefer synthetic.

Last edited:
I believe Valvoline MC oil meets SF/SG spec and it can be had for $3 per quart.

Comes in 10w40 and 20w50 flavors

Originally Posted By: MRYGearHead
Hi,

I have a 1987 (Toyota truck) with a 22RET/ RTE (factory turbo) that calls for SF/CC 10W-40 oil. I had a cam shaft failure, while running Castrol Syntec synthetic oil recently (in 2001). I think it was 5W-50. I was changing the oil and filter every ~3,000 miles. The last time I blew the turbo, the rebuilder recommended I use a 5W-40 oil...

---- This engine has overhead cam, that the rocker arms ride (slide) directly on the camshaft.

My last OC was with Eneos 5W-40 Synthetic oil. Often I use whatever synthetic oil is on sale.

MRY

Rotella t4,5,6 can be had cheaply at Walmart and is designed around diesel turbo applications

Originally Posted By: MRYGearHead
Hi,

MRY

As the owner of several 22RE powered trucks I'm jealous of your factory turbo truck. I've always wanted one. I've never had a camshaft failure in a 22RE Toyota, ever, with a cumulative mileage between all the ones I currently own and have owned in the past of over 1.5 million miles. However when working in a machine shop I did see a few failures of aftermarket camshafts that were improperly heat treated.

My current daily driver is an 87 4Runner, I removed the original camshaft at 277,000 miles and installed an RV cam that's been in the truck ever since. I'm now at 330,600 miles with no issues. I haven't run anything fancy for oils on the original or replacement camshaft.

For your application and relatively mild overall temperatures I would run a 15w40 diesel oil or a 0/5w40 synthetic diesel oil if you're concerned about getting closer to the original API addative levels. Hard to go wrong with either one.

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the input. I'm not up with the abbreviations of the oil types. There no walmart near me.
What about, Lucas Long Drain Truck Oil 10297?
https://lucasoil.com/pdf/Zinc_Values_MotorcycleOil.pdf

I think the Rotella will be what I'll use.

The temperature spread is based in where else I might go. It does get down to 10 to 20F on occasions here. The turbo re-manufacture felt that 10W or 15W was too thick for a turbo.

Nice Toyota Carj

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back