Sold my truck. What to do with my Castrol 0W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I sold my truck and bought a new 2017 FWD 4 cylinder Chevy Equinox. My Chevy Silverado with the 6 liter motor loved the Euro 0W-30 oil so I bought about 30 quarts on closeout for $2 per quart last fall.

In my stable I now have the Malibu with the 1.5 liter DI turbo motor and the Equinox with the 2.4 liter motor. Both require Dexos Gen 2 oil (the truck didn't). What do I do with this Castrol Euro 0w-30?

1. Run it in both vehicles summer and winter here in central Michigan because it's awesome, oil Certifications be [censored]?

2. Give it away to some of my less fortunate friends with older cars and only use Dexos Gen 2 approved oils?

I could go either way on this. What are your thoughts?

Buy Dexos 2 for one of the cars and save the receipts. Run the 0w30 in the other. If you ever have a warranty issue in the one you have used the 0w30 in, you have Dexos 2 receipts to present... they won't know which car you used it in.

Is it BMW LL-01 rated?

Sounds like some BITOG people have been having trouble finding properly rated motor oil for their BMWs. If you were in Canada I'd be interested in some of it.

When I sold my Dodge Dakota last year I had 5 quarts of Peak 10W30 and a MicroGard filter left over from my stash. I use 0W20 in my Honda and my wife's Nissan. I donated the 10W30 and filter to a local indie garage that works with local churches and does free oil changes for single mothers and other deserving folks a few times a year. It was a very good way to get rid of oil I had no use for.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

2. Give it away to some of my less fortunate friends.......What are your thoughts?

I resemble that remark and am only a hop, skip,and jump away at MOO U! LOL.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
Buy Dexos 2 for one of the cars and save the receipts. Run the 0w30 in the other. If you ever have a warranty issue in the one you have used the 0w30 in, you have Dexos 2 receipts to present... they won't know which car you used it in.

This.

Run the Castrol in the Malibu.

I can buy it from you for $5.50 a quart shipped to 93012. My Ford Ranger and BMW 5 series would be very thankful
smile.gif

3) buy yourself a AR15 rifle and keep on re-lubing it on a daily basis until your stash of euro 0w30 runs out
smile.gif

Be a bitoger!

Use it as it safely applies to your current cars, summer use or all year.

If there's no way you can use it, put it up for sale at $2/qt on the "for sale" section - local delivery/pick up only. You'll sell it all soon enough. No need to give it away unless you're feeling generous. I just sold 28 qts of Castrol Edge/PP for $2/qt that didn't fit into my future plans any more.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Wait, I thought the Dexos1 Gen2 was a brand new spec?
I don't pay that much attention since I don't change oil in any newer GM vehicles.

dexos1 Gen 2 is not even "live" until September...

Didn't that 1.5l DIT engine in the Malibu get recalled for LSPI? I think GM said at the time of the recall to only use AC Delco oil in it in the US and M1 in Canada.

I'd be very careful what I put in that thing, the Castrol might be A-OK but who knows. That's the one I'd stick to dexos1 Gen 2 for if at all possible...I doubt the 2.4l NA motor is going to be too picky, sounds like a better candidate for the Castrol.

Hey, I looked it up and the OPer started the thread about the recall!

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4331368/Stochastic_Pre-Ignition_(SPI)_

Just curious, has anybody ever suffered engine failure for using the wrong oil maintained at the right level and changed at the correct OCI?

Originally Posted By: SF0059

+1
laugh.gif

It's not "wrong oil", it's just not carrying the same certs ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vintageant
Just curious, has anybody ever suffered engine failure for using the wrong oil maintained at the right level and changed at the correct OCI?
That's a good question. But more likely, is that POSSIBLY your engine won't last as long. But that may be 299k miles, as compared to 300k miles. There are too many variables.

Originally Posted By: vintageant

By picking a very mis-matched oil this shouldn't be that difficult. How about a 15w-50/60 API SN for a car that specs 0w-20? Or a SAE30/40 oil for brutal winters in northern states and Canada? I'd bet a $1/qt API SA SAE30 oil could do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back