Nearly 300 dexos1 Gen 2 Oils Listed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warren is well represented as is Valvoline. Sopus products are also well represented. XOM isn't well represented with the exception of the 3000 series.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Warren is well represented as is Valvoline. Sopus products are also well represented. XOM isn't well represented with the exception of the 3000 series.

One really weird thing is that M1 5W30 AP bottles on the shelf a month ago appeared to have a Gen 2 license number, but that oil isn't on the list.

Originally Posted By: Ram02
So pennzoil gold and Quaker State Syn Blend are the only blends on the list? Gotta be pretty good meeting that spec 👍🏽👍🏽

My guess wud be that they have low noack that allows them to meet the spec. Ac delco syn blend make the list ????

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Originally Posted By: Ram02
So pennzoil gold and Quaker State Syn Blend are the only blends on the list? Gotta be pretty good meeting that spec 👍🏽👍🏽

My guess wud be that they have low noack that allows them to meet the spec. Ac delco syn blend make the list ????

Right on that's good plenty of choices

Dexos almost sounds like an additive or chips rather than spec
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Dexos almost sounds like an additive or chips rather than spec
smile.gif

I picked up some "cool ranch" dexos at Safeway last night

No Amsoil. I love how Amsoil like to run "thier" tests to beat everyone yet they never want to put thier oil out there for outside testing.
Same as Royal Purple.

Remember that just because an oil doesn't have dexos approval it doesn't mean it won't meet or exceed the standards. Some companies don't want to pay GM to be on their list.

I can't comment on the Mobil 1, but I would say the list is actually not so close to 300. There are lots of duplicates and triplicates on that list. Just look at the first three on the list... the ABRO 5W-30. Each one of those has the exact same license number, and that happens a lot of times throughout the rest of the list.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
My sister's Imapala has run all of its 100k without using Dexos

I am interested in dexos1 Gen 2 for its LSPI test since I have a DIT engine, GF6 with its LSPI test is years away (although there is talk of a GF5+ to fill the gap). dexos1 in general doesn't mean an awful lot to me, although I know its NOACK limit is a little more restrictive than SN's 15%, which is a good thing.

I have been using various M1 5W30 flavors for their low calcium and near-zero sodium formulations since I learned about LSPI, but am looking forward to having a much wider choice of oils I will be comfortable with once I start seeing dexos1 Gen 2 logos on the shelves at Walmart. I didn't feel like my engine was going to blow up instantly if I put oil with lots of calcium and sodium in it, but chose to go with quality oils that I thought would make LSPI less likely based upon various studies that were summarized on the interwebz. Just trying to play the percentages...

Originally Posted By: 137_Trenton
I can't comment on the Mobil 1, but I would say the list is actually not so close to 300. There are lots of duplicates and triplicates on that list. Just look at the first three on the list... the ABRO 5W-30. Each one of those has the exact same license number, and that happens a lot of times throughout the rest of the list.

That's a good point...I'm not sure if the multiple identical listings could be due to somewhat different formulations sold in different areas, different packaging, or something else? Maybe an industry insider could give us a clue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back