Need some advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm trying to decide what to do. I have a 2014 F-150, bought it kind of on the spur of the moment, as I really don't need a truck, I just really like them. I can probably count on both hands how many times I have used it to its actual capabilities.

First, I was thinking about getting a second car like a Honda Fit or something like that, get close to 40 mpg and be fun to drive and keep the truck for when the weather is bad or if I do need to haul something.
But then I was thinking I really don't have the space to keep 2 vehicles, plus the truck would just be sitting a lot because I will more than likely take the car most of the time. I don't want it to sit there and be a waste.

Second, I was thinking of trading in the truck and get a Subaru Crosstrek or Impreza so I could still have AWD and have a little more traction in winter time. Or a Honda Fit type vehicle and get a set of snow tires for the winter time, but I'm a little worried about clearance of deep snow with that idea.

I've been driving a lot more since before I got the truck, about 60 mile round trip for work now. And I've been driving in Cleveland and Pittsburgh a lot more so driving the huge F-150 around has been becoming a pain in the butt; parking garages, traffic, etc... Drove my aunts Kia Soul for a couple days while my truck was getting some warranty work done and it was so nice being able to park super easy and the gas I used was phenomenal compared to my normal.

Truck is payed off. So its not that I can't afford it. I really do like the truck but I wouldn't mind getting something more economical and maybe more fun to drive. I would say 90% of the time it is just me in the vehicle or me and my brother. And I have the nicest and newest vehicle so when I go places with my friends I am the one that drives them all.

Truck is valued at a little under 21,000 so I can basically just trade it in and get the Fit or just have to pay a couple thousand and get the Crosstrek.

Any good practical suggestions from anyone of what I should do?

I probably would go for an AWD Subaru or other smaller SUV/COV. Comfortable to drive, good in rain & snow and some hauling ability along with 25+ MPG. Ed

I have had at least one truck at all times for the last 52 years. I cannot image being without one. They can tow a trailer, haul an ATV in the bed using ramps, bring a huge load of plants or mulch from Home Depot, transport all you picknick supplies to the beach and countless other tasks cars cannot do as easily. I love the visibility of the raised ride height and my current Ram is as comfortable as any car I have ever owned. I for one do not care about mileage so that is not an issue for me. That said, my Ram gets about 22 MPG overall with a 395HP Hemi V8. I vote for you to keep your truck

Last edited:
Well for me, I wouldn't want to drive a Honda Fit around, just a death trap like all small cars are. I'd get the Crosstrek. If you like them nice, condsider what I drive, a Mercedes E-350. Depreciation is pretty massive on them, 2014's are in the 25-30k depending on mileage and options. They're fun to drive around too, especially if it's highly optioned. The 2010's could probably be had for under 20k.

Truck is safer.
Truck will last longer especially if u drive it like a car.
So that will offset the mpg.
Truck is comfy.
And lastly and most importantly it is manly
smile.gif

Full size pickups are a pain, no doubt. The solution.. park away from other vehicles at the mall or grocery store and walk 50 yards.
Your truck is paid for & still on warranty. Maybe keep it for a few more years instead of racking up thousands of miles on a new vehicle.

What kind of warranty work did it need? That's a huge leap from an F150 to a Fit. Somewhere in the middle like a Subaru would be better most likely.

Forester? Balance between car and truck, get AWD and decent gas mileage. If not, the impreza seems like a solid option.

Crosstrek has a weak engine doesnt it? Forester with the turbo would be fun..

Last edited:
I can relate to some of your dilemma. I have 3 kids 6 to 11 and I have a 15 F150. I had a 04 F150 but kids got too big for the extended cab suicide doors. Moved to the Crew Cab 15 and I love that truck. BUT I drive a lot (2 boys are travel all star teams and the 6 girl is pretty busy too) about 32k a year. That on a truck just didn't add up for me. Plus I need to zip around a little bit more than the truck allows. Moving fromt he poor mileage in the 04 to the 15 was a dream. Talking 12 in the 04 to 18 I get in 6k mile OCI.

Honda Fit? JUST NO!!!!!!!! Nuf said.

I went with a Subaru Outback. About 15k now and I really do like it. It's vanilla but it fit the need just right. Big enough to hump kids around but still get 24 mpg (I have the 3.6) over a 5k OCI. BUT all that said I wouldn't want to just have the Subby. Just got back from Ocean City MD (300 miles or so 1 way) and nothing beats the comfort and ride of the F150. And the back packed with beach [censored].

I guess it depends on how much you like trucks? In particular the one you have.

My trucks are not very good at MPG and are not very practical overall. Not really that sensible of a vehicle choice to be honest, but I don't care, because I like trucks. Particularly old Fords that are smaller than any new truck you can buy, and get worse MPG than probably most new trucks you can buy. I can't really imagine parting with either one until they are totally worn out and done. I might never get rid of the 4X4.

If you're thinking about a different type of vehicle entirely, you're probably not that attached. The last time I considered a Fit or any FWD car is never. As long as it makes sense financially and you aren't taking a crazy hit on selling the truck, it might be worth it to try a different vehicle. Maybe you will find you don't like trucks that much.

If you LOVE the truck, maybe keep it and get a car, but you'd probably be better off with a daily driver car and an older, cheaper second truck. A newer truck just sitting seems like a waste.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I probably would go for an AWD Subaru or other smaller SUV/COV. Comfortable to drive, good in rain & snow and some hauling ability along with 25+ MPG. Ed

I'm leaning a lot towards the 2018 Crosstrek if I was to trade the truck in. It's #1 on my list right now.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
I have had at least one truck at all times for the last 52 years. I cannot image being without one. They can tow a trailer, haul an ATV in the bed using ramps, bring a huge load of plants or mulch from Home Depot, transport all you picknick supplies to the beach and countless other tasks cars cannot do as easily. I love the visibility of the raised ride height and my current Ram is as comfortable as any car I have ever owned. I for one do not care about mileage so that is not an issue for me. That said, my Ram gets about 22 MPG overall with a 395HP Hemi V8. I vote for you to keep your truck

That is one nice thing, having it around to use for work stuff. The truck does have a nice comfortable ride when the road is nice, but it just bounces all the time on most of our roads since they aren't the greatest. I get on average 16.5-17.5 most of the time.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Truck is safer.
Truck will last longer especially if u drive it like a car.
So that will offset the mpg.
Truck is comfy.
And lastly and most importantly it is manly
smile.gif

lol that's what my friends say too.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Full size pickups are a pain, no doubt. The solution.. park away from other vehicles at the mall or grocery store and walk 50 yards.
Your truck is paid for & still on warranty. Maybe keep it for a few more years instead of racking up thousands of miles on a new vehicle.

That's what I do right now. My one friend gets so mad because I park so far away from everyone. In the city that's not really an option though. Around my living area isn't a problem though. That is one thing I was thinking since I don't have the payment and still have a little more than a year left on the warranty.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
What kind of warranty work did it need? That's a huge leap from an F150 to a Fit. Somewhere in the middle like a Subaru would be better most likely.

Had to have the whole rear window replaced due to rear defroster going out. I've had some other problems with it as well. Already changed the spark plugs because of it misfiring. It just developed another weird rough idle so I'm going to have to take care of that right now. The ride is incredibly bouncy so I'm not if that's just suspensionand road related, but I'm leaning towards that verses something actually wrong with the truck. Quality just kind of stinks too. Front passenger seats shakes constantly, squeaks everywhere. I do like the truck but there is some small things I dislike.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

My trucks are not very good at MPG and are not very practical overall. Not really that sensible of a vehicle choice to be honest, but I don't care, because I like trucks. Particularly old Fords that are smaller than any new truck you can buy, and get worse MPG than probably most new trucks you can buy. I can't really imagine parting with either one until they are totally worn out and done. I might never get rid of the 4X4.

If you're thinking about a different type of vehicle entirely, you're probably not that attached. The last time I considered a Fit or any FWD car is never. As long as it makes sense financially and you aren't taking a crazy hit on selling the truck, it might be worth it to try a different vehicle. Maybe you will find you don't like trucks that much.

If you LOVE the truck, maybe keep it and get a car, but you'd probably be better off with a daily driver car and an older, cheaper second truck. A newer truck just sitting seems like a waste.

Yeah That's what I was thinking, get a nice daily driver and in the future if I see the need for a truck maybe get a nice older used truck and that way its not as much of a waste sitting there.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
I can relate to some of your dilemma. I have 3 kids 6 to 11 and I have a 15 F150. I had a 04 F150 but kids got too big for the extended cab suicide doors. Moved to the Crew Cab 15 and I love that truck. BUT I drive a lot (2 boys are travel all star teams and the 6 girl is pretty busy too) about 32k a year. That on a truck just didn't add up for me. Plus I need to zip around a little bit more than the truck allows. Moving fromt he poor mileage in the 04 to the 15 was a dream. Talking 12 in the 04 to 18 I get in 6k mile OCI.

Honda Fit? JUST NO!!!!!!!! Nuf said.

I went with a Subaru Outback. About 15k now and I really do like it. It's vanilla but it fit the need just right. Big enough to hump kids around but still get 24 mpg (I have the 3.6) over a 5k OCI. BUT all that said I wouldn't want to just have the Subby. Just got back from Ocean City MD (300 miles or so 1 way) and nothing beats the comfort and ride of the F150. And the back packed with beach [censored].

Lol yeah its just me. Single and its usually just me in the vehicle, so a smaller vehicle doesn't really bother me. I don't want an unsafe vehicle, but as long as its comfortable and has good safety rating, I'll consider it.

My sister has a 2017 Impreza. I really like her car except for one thing, it needs more power. She doesn't care that it's slow. The Crosstek weighs even more so I'd hate to imagine that. I think your setting yourself up for disappointment.

If you are in a snow area def. get an awd crossover and leave out the fit

there are subcompact crossovers now too such as the chevy trax.

finally pay attention to the car generation. the crosstrek 2018 is the new platform likw you saw, but you should wait longer for the outback or forester and not get the old model.

i think perhaps a rule of thumb if it has android auto or carplay (even if you dont use it) it probably is recent. if it doesnt do some more research to see when next gen is coming.

Everybody on this board drives either a Honda Fit or a Subaru of some kind. I can't understand it. I'd be thoroughly impressed if somebody bought a Cadillac.

We have both although they are both 2007s. The Fit is a great in town car but, I hate taking it on the freeway or long dives much. we bought them both new and the Fit has around 57k miles and the F150 has about 150k. You can see which one we take most of the time. Yes, parking a truck can be challenging, especially around holidays but, it's not nearly as bad as my old F350 was. If you take care of it the truck will run a long, long time. I'd agree with the other poster who suggested keeping it at least through the warranty, then you can decide if you really want to take on a car payment again.

Originally Posted By: radtech91
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Yeah That's what I was thinking, get a nice daily driver and in the future if I see the need for a truck maybe get a nice older used truck and that way its not as much of a waste sitting there.

This is exactly what I do. I have a car as my daily since I drive all over as a salesman. I use the truck once a week or so just to keep it in good shape. Its always there when I need a truck and it doesn't cost much to run since its old and paid for and has minimal insurance.

"""" And I have the nicest and newest vehicle so when I go places with my friends I am the one that drives them all."""

Hope they still hangout with you after u trade in the truck
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back